× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 - "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk." problem #27199519

tcourtnage
Aspirant

RN104 - "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk." problem #27199519

I'm having what seems like similar issues to many others.

I have an RN104 with two 2TB disks using X-RAID RAID 1 (Mirror). I also have encryption enabled. A couple of days ago we had a power outage and the ReadyNAS shut down.

I plugged in the USB stick with the encryption key and started it back up but am now getting the error "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2." And we can no longer access the shares that were setup on the NAS.

Any suggestions/help? We're well out of our support period.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
tcourtnage
Aspirant

Re: RN104 - "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk." problem #27199519

Just to close the loop and maybe help someone else who is having an issue, here is what did it for me.

I did end up paying for support, however in the end my problem was that when I copied/pasted the encryption key from our secure password manager and saved it on the USB stick, the key had a hidden newline character at the end of it (an artifact of the copy/paste from the password manager), which was causing it to not be able to decrypt the volume. I had to use a hex editor to view and remove the hidden character at the end of the key, then my volume was fine. So, if you have the above error AND you are using an encrypted volume AND you've copied/pasted your encryption key from another source back to a USB stick, check the key to ensure there are no hidden characters in it.

I did have a followup issue where we couldn't browse to or connect to any of the shares. Support did fix that issue for me, the samba configuration file was empty for some reason, so support fixed it up and we're back in business.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 - "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk." problem

Paid per-incident support might be the best option.

Message 2 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tcourtnage,

I've seen that you have already opened a ticket with the support team and it is still waiting to be picked up by one if the experts. It is best to leave this to them.

Hopefully you have full backup of the data. Did you try plugging the USB stick to another USB port?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 4
tcourtnage
Aspirant

Just to close the loop and maybe help someone else who is having an issue, here is what did it for me.

I did end up paying for support, however in the end my problem was that when I copied/pasted the encryption key from our secure password manager and saved it on the USB stick, the key had a hidden newline character at the end of it (an artifact of the copy/paste from the password manager), which was causing it to not be able to decrypt the volume. I had to use a hex editor to view and remove the hidden character at the end of the key, then my volume was fine. So, if you have the above error AND you are using an encrypted volume AND you've copied/pasted your encryption key from another source back to a USB stick, check the key to ensure there are no hidden characters in it.

I did have a followup issue where we couldn't browse to or connect to any of the shares. Support did fix that issue for me, the samba configuration file was empty for some reason, so support fixed it up and we're back in business.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements