× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN2120v2 6.4.2 extremely slow read speed #26763207

akato
Aspirant

RN2120v2 6.4.2 extremely slow read speed #26763207

Our RN2120v2 with 6.4.2 (and antivirus disabled) is extremely slow when reading from it. There is a PC that has a network drive mapped to a share on it. I copied a folder to the NAS and it took about 15 seconds. Copying the same folder back from the NAS to the PC says "5 hours remaining". 

I have run a Crystal Diskmark performance test from the PC against the mapped drive and it shows 115MB/s for sequential write and 0.2MB/s for sequentlal read. I ran the same test on another PC using UNC just in case and get the same numbers.

I created a support case but they told me to reboot the NAS and defrag it and it doesn't help. I have enabled and disabled the antivirus to no avail. 

I tried to apply a hotfix that is supposed to fix the slowness issue when antivirus is enabled but I couldn't install it. I don't want to install a beta version because we need to keep the warranty.

This is used in a medical field and patient care is severely impacted since we installed this unit. We didn't have the issue when we used to use a different brand. If we cannot resolve this, we will have to switch to a different brand.

Has anyone seen something like this?

Thanks in advance.

AK

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 6
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Re: RN2120v2 6.4.2 extremely slow read speed

problem may be from faulty hard drive, network card, cables, router switch

Message 2 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN2120v2 6.4.2 extremely slow read speed

Hi akato,

Welcome to the community!

Have you tried a direct ReadyNAS to PC connection to isolate if its a network problem? Also, it would be better if you could send us a the complete system device logs so we can have a look at your system and probably get an idea why it's acting up.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN2120v2 6.4.2 extremely slow read speed #26763207

@akato wrote:

I tried to apply a hotfix that is supposed to fix the slowness issue when antivirus is enabled but I couldn't install it.

This is as concerning as the performance issue, and suggests that you should follow up with support.   Whatever is blocking the hot-fix install might also be interfering with your read speeds.

Also - some people are confusing the antivirus service from the antivirus plus app.  You need to disable the service from the system->settings page.

Message 4 of 6
akato
Aspirant

Thanks for all the suggestions. Today the user emailed me and thanked me for fixing the issue although I haven't done anything.

We have updated the Citrix Receiver on the PC for a completely unrelated purpose yesterday. Today the Crystal Diskmark is showing 100MB/s read speed where it was 0.2MB/s before. I don't know how Cirtix Receiver could cause that but that is the only change that I am aware of. If I can somehow confirm it, I will post it.

Message 5 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi akato,

We appreciate that you've posted feedback and for letting us know how you resolved your issue. In case that you will add something on how and why the issue got fixed, don't hesitate to post it on this thread. Lastly, we suggest that you mark this thread resolved by clicking the “Accepted as Solution” button in one of the responses that you received. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements