× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN312 disconnects from network after backup/disconnect external drive

sfpegasus
Tutor

RN312 disconnects from network after backup/disconnect external drive

Periodically my RN312 disconnects from the network after completing a backup and disconnecting the external drive.  Most the time it work perfectly. I have to do a manual shutdown and restart to get back to normal. 

This happens every six weeks or so.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
sfpegasus
Tutor

Re: RN312 disconnects from network

Just a followup.  Shut down readyNAS.  Cabled straight through (eth0) to router without any switches in the way as recommended. Fired it back up.  Normal boot with the IP address assigned. Will continue to monitor.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sfpegasus,

Welcome to the community!

What's the current firmware version? Do you eject the external USB disk from the admin page before removing it from the NAS?

Regards,

Message 2 of 13
sfpegasus
Tutor

Firmware 6.2.4

The backup routine autimatically ejects the external drive (Transcend StorJet) at completion.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sfpegasus,

Where is the NAS connected? It is connected straight to a router or a switch?

How many LAN cables plugged in to the NAS?

Regards,

Message 4 of 13
sfpegasus
Tutor

NAS Connected to NetGear Gigabit switch > Netgear Gigabit switch > Comcast Business Gateway (NetGear CG3000DCR)

Only one LAN cable into NAS

Yes, I'm a NetGear guy. Man Happy

Message 5 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sfpegasus,

Does the ReadyNAS disappear from the RAIDar after it finishes the back up to the USB disk and the disk gets ejected?

Please also to check if same problem when straight to the gateway modem.

Regards,

Message 6 of 13
sfpegasus
Tutor

Hi Jenn:

I don't use RAIDar, only a browser.  Unable to connect with the browser when this happens.

It just seems to drop out of the network and the only way I know is Windows will provide a message that the drive is not connected because we use the ReadyNAS for FileHistory.

I'll rework the cabling and see if I can go direct to the gateway modem.

Message 7 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sfpegasus,

Try also using the RAIDar, this helps you monitor the status of the NAS if it is still visible on the network.

Regards,

Message 8 of 13
sfpegasus
Tutor

That's the problem - it just drops the connection.  Next time it happens I'll see it the router still shows and active IP.  Not allowed to use Java here so RAIDar not a solution.

Message 9 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sfpegasus,

I see. Try going straight to the router and observe if same problem occurs.

Regards,

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You can also get a tool like pingplotter to keep pinging the NAS and graphing the responses on a timeline.

Message 11 of 13
sfpegasus
Tutor

Minor change of events.  The ReadyNAS is currently doing it's backup and is already unreachable. This apparently happens at boot time and NOT after the backup.

Unable to contact via browser.  RAIDar (I cheated and put it on another machine that has Java) says I have no ReadyNAS storage devices on the network.  The router has no mention of 10.1.10.11, the IP assigned to the ReadyNAS.  

I suppose if this router had any logs, I could see if the ReadyNAS tried to grab the IP when it booted this morning.

The eth0 is active with green light.  Removed cable from eth0 and and plugged into eth1. No response, not even a light. Replaced cable in eth0. No response, no light. Tried this several times and sometimes they would light up and sometimes they wouldn't. Swapped cable out. The eth0 light illuminated, but no connection to the router. The eth1 port finally responded and picked up an IP from the router's DHCP since the port was not configured for static.

At this point I suspect a bad ethernet interface.  Are there any logs I can find to verify what's going on at boot time? Not terribly familiar with some of the other utilities mentioned on here, but willing to learn.

Is there a problem with running the ReadyNASB on eth1?

Message 12 of 13
sfpegasus
Tutor

Re: RN312 disconnects from network

Just a followup.  Shut down readyNAS.  Cabled straight through (eth0) to router without any switches in the way as recommended. Fired it back up.  Normal boot with the IP address assigned. Will continue to monitor.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements