× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN31400 iSCSI Sync Writes

edecanus
Aspirant

RN31400 iSCSI Sync Writes

Hi...

I've refreshed the ReadyNAS disks and upgraded firmware (Factory reset to 6.7.4).  I use the ReadyNAS to store active SQL and mail databases, images and disk based backups via iSCSI.  I have plenty of disk space 13 TB free and 1TB free on the iSCSI LUN where data transmits over a 10g pipe.  Backups, Shapshots and large archive transfers (40Gb to 500Gb) were running great before firmware 6.7.4 when you were allowed to disable sync writes and have access to iSCSI disk.  Not so much with 6.7.4.

What options do I have ot overcome the backup, shapshot and file transfer failure.

- Increase MTU to 3000 or even 5000?

- Is there an override to allow desabling sync writes and have access to iSCSI (current running is Microsoft 2.08)?

- Reduce the busy disk time with sync writes?  The Volume throughput was never this busys with 6.6.x

Data reads LAST: 961.3m AVG: 36.1 MAX: 109.7, MIN: 0.0

Data writes LAST 433.7, AVG: 171.2, MAX 447.2, MION: 0.0

- Upgrade to 6.7.5

Thanks,

Adrian

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN31400 iSCSI Sync Writes

Hello edecanus,

Thanks for the feedback. It does appear the issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello edecanus,

Firmware version 6.7.5 was officially release you may want to try this version. 

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
edecanus
Aspirant

Hi  Marty_M and thanks...

There is no change after firmware update.  Disks are too busy syncing to process even moderate loads via iSCSI causing iSCSI timeouts where the disk drops.

Thanks,

Adrian 

Message 3 of 6
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello edecanus,

Are you working with one iscsi lun? Have you tried creating separate iscsi luns for snapshot, backup and data access? There is a possibility that the NAS is having trouble with work load coming to different process going to single lun. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
edecanus
Aspirant

Hi Marty_M,

I did reconfigure iSCSI by moving data for long term storage to a single large LUN.  Addiitonal iSCSI were created to segregate the work loads across multiple smaller LUN.  This is working well as the ReadyNAS overall can now handle the workload better and I'm see as much as a 20% average increase in throughput. 

I did reboot the server after all the configuration changes and data moves were completed when after 12+ hours this action did not complete.  I was able to login to the ReadyNAS with limited options (i.e. iSCSI and other "settings" where non-responsive or froze the ReadyNAS session.  I was able to launch "scrub".  This took about 22 hours without the server connected and resulted in iSCSI and other settings responding as expected.

Thanks for the help!
Adrian

Hello edecanus,

Are you working with one iscsi lun? Have you tried creating separate iscsi luns for snapshot, backup and data access? There is a possibility that the NAS is having trouble with work load coming to different process going to single lun. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 5 of 6
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello edecanus,

Thanks for the feedback. It does appear the issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements