× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP4000 doesn't boot or freezes - RAM controller bad? Request for billable Tech support

Hernexto
Star

RNDP4000 doesn't boot or freezes - RAM controller bad? Request for billable Tech support

Hello!

I have a 4x2Tb RAID 5 unit with latest RAIDator which after a power failure doesn't want to boot.

After the first reboot:

It started and it had PING connectivity por about 30 seconds.

Now normal boot: 'booting...' and freezes, no PING, forever.

I started several boot modes but:

- Memory test: seems to freeze after few minutes showing errors.

> I used 3 other memory modules, one doesn't boots at all, the other two show errors too (RAM controller?)

- Disk test: tests disks, seems to be ok.

- skip volume check: 'Booting...' forever

I can enter to Tech Support boot mode and I would like Support to connect and take a look. I will pay for it, no problem.

I can't see the option to open this kind of support request.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Hernexto
Star

Re: RNDP4000 doesn't boot or freezes - RAM controller bad? Request for billable Tech support

Unfortunatelly it was out of warranty by 6 months.

At the end I found the option to open a case, paid about 60 € per incident and found a very good tech support.

We checked unit and verify it doesn't work well, but data was OK and support told me I can buy a new one and easily migrate data.

Effectively motherboard was 'broken', but not for electrical reasons. In our Industry (Leather tannery) we use a bit of sulphur-based chemicals that could damage copper (see picture):

PCB-copper.jpg

Device was in a closed place, but after 5 years and so much air refrigeration, it seemed not to be enough.

After a PCB cleaning with Isoprophylic alcohol, air soldering heating and another memory module it worked again.

This is not a solution, but it give me some days to finish my holidays, buy the new Netgear unit and move data.

Case closed!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDP4000 doesn't boot or freezes - RAM controller bad? Request for billable Tech support

If the product still has warranty coverage (5 years), Netgear will replace it.

Unfortunately they don't offer a repair service (whether you are covered by warranty or not).

You can check your warranty status at my.netgear.com

Message 2 of 3
Hernexto
Star

Unfortunatelly it was out of warranty by 6 months.

At the end I found the option to open a case, paid about 60 € per incident and found a very good tech support.

We checked unit and verify it doesn't work well, but data was OK and support told me I can buy a new one and easily migrate data.

Effectively motherboard was 'broken', but not for electrical reasons. In our Industry (Leather tannery) we use a bit of sulphur-based chemicals that could damage copper (see picture):

PCB-copper.jpg

Device was in a closed place, but after 5 years and so much air refrigeration, it seemed not to be enough.

After a PCB cleaning with Isoprophylic alcohol, air soldering heating and another memory module it worked again.

This is not a solution, but it give me some days to finish my holidays, buy the new Netgear unit and move data.

Case closed!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements