× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update 6.7.4 Issue

Hello,

I upgraded from 6.6.1 to 6.7.4 yesterday and now have an issue with the USB external drive disconnecting at random intervals. The drive reconnects when I restart the NAS drive or when I replug the drive back in to the NAS.

Is there a  way to remedy this?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Let's put this issue to rest. The Seagate expansion drive (STAY2000102) that would disconnect from the NAS unit, has included with it a power management utility. This utility is only recognized by windows OS, so when the drive went to sleep the NAS lost communication with it and would disconnect. I could not find a program to turn this expansion power management utility off, so I removed the drive from its enclosure and installed it into a docking station connected to the NAS unit. This hard drive is functioning beautifully with the NAS unit.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which USB disk are you using?

Message 2 of 9

I updated to 6.7.5 Beta 1 with the same results of the external USB drive connecting and then being dropped after a random amount of time. The Ultra 2 Plus system in question has a Seagate USB 2TB STAY2000102 external hard drive formatted to EXT4 connected. The external drive was behaving under FW 6.6.1 before updating to FW 6.7.4 thou there was a connection problem going from FW 6.5 to FW 6.6 at the start. 

I also have a RN21200-100NES system (FW 6.7.4) where this is NOT happening with a different USB drive formatted to NTFS. But when I connect the offending Seagate to this unit it will be disconnected after a period of time also.

Is there something with the Seagate external drive that FW 6.7.4 doesn't like??

Model: RNDP200U|READYNAS ULTRA 2 PLUS|EOL
Message 3 of 9

Are there any solutions with the dropping USB drive info I posted previously?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello harryrichardfoe,

Firmware version 6.7.5 was officially release, you may want to try this version. 

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 9

Unfortunately, the USB drive is still disconnecting radomly with FW 6.7.5. Is there something else that can be done? The USB drive is used solely for backing up the NAS.

Message 6 of 9
hmuessig
Luminary

My RN314 is running 6.7.5. Earlier today I logged into it for the first time since turning on disk spin-down and it disconnected my WD 3TB USB external drive. 

Physically disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it solved the immediate problem . . . 

The unit is my backup/test unit for new OS versions. (I'm keeping my production 716x at OS 6.7.1 'cause it is stable!)

I'll post again whether or not this happens again.

Message 7 of 9

Here's the latest. Random disconnection of the Seagate USB drive has not occurred for 36 hours and has completed scheduled backups. This is what I had done, which maybe just random luck. The NAS was updated to FW 6.7.5.

The USB drive was disconnected, attached to a Windows system and formated to NTFS and chkdsk was run.

Connected the USB drive to the NAS (unfortunately at this state the USB drive would still disconnect)

Formatted the USB drive using the NAS utility to NTFS (unfortunately at this state the USB drive gave the following error on backingup: "Backup: Error backup job NAS1 Documents: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created. Check if these files or folders meet the destination file system limitation.")

The USB drive was disconnected, attached to a Windows system and formated to NTFS and chkdsk was run  again.

Connected the USB drive to the NAS and formatted using the NAS utility to EXT4.

Rebooted the NAS unit.

So far the USB drive has been accepted by the NAS unit by not randomly disconnecting and allowing backups to be performed.

So far so good.

This is the same procedure that I followed when the FW was updated from 6.5 to 6.6 to get this USB drive accepted. A bit strange the hoops that must be jumped through with these firmware updates...

Model: RNDP200U|READYNAS ULTRA 2 PLUS|EOL
Message 8 of 9

Let's put this issue to rest. The Seagate expansion drive (STAY2000102) that would disconnect from the NAS unit, has included with it a power management utility. This utility is only recognized by windows OS, so when the drive went to sleep the NAS lost communication with it and would disconnect. I could not find a program to turn this expansion power management utility off, so I removed the drive from its enclosure and installed it into a docking station connected to the NAS unit. This hard drive is functioning beautifully with the NAS unit.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements