× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS SCSI quit working after update to 6.7.5

doubleb53
Aspirant

Ready NAS SCSI quit working after update to 6.7.5

I have been running this ReadyNAS for about 3 months now without issues.  When I received it, I made sure to update it to the latest firmware.  I was notified that a new update was available, so I upgraded to the latest version of firmware 6.7.5 (after reading all upgrade materials) and now my ISCSI connection will not stay connected.  You can get it to connect, but after about 15 minutes the connection drops and goes into a reconnecting loop.  I have tried to reinstall the firmware, but that didn't help.  I am running 2012 R2 server and a 3 month old Netgear ReadyNAS with the above mentioned firmware.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

BB

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
doubleb53
Aspirant

Re: Ready NAS SCSI quit working after update to 6.7.5

Here is what we discovered.  It turns out that if you turn on thin provisioning and you turn on snapshots the NAS will completely run itself out of space, even though the NAS will tell you there is space left.  Support told me that since the device thought it had 20% storage left and it really didn't, upgrading of the firmware caused the operating system to become corrupt.  This caused a big problem for me.  There was no way to recover the data if you are using an iSCSI connection and do not have a spare drive that has almost as much storage of your NAS is.  I did not and this resulted in all the data on the device being lost.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello doubleb53,

May we ask for a copy of the complete logs of the NAS, you can send the logs through file sharing website like wikisend and just PM me the download link. Are you encountering same problem when you try to access share/folder of the NAS? 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
doubleb53
Aspirant

I have opened a case on this and I have talked to Level 1 and level 2 support.  They have forwarded me to Level 3 support as it looks like there is an issue with the OS and how it is handling the iSCSI communication.  Level 3 is supposed to be calling me today to try to find a solution and work with me to be able to get my data off my device.  Hopefully they will be able to figure out the actual problem and fix it.

Message 3 of 7
doubleb53
Aspirant

Here is what we discovered.  It turns out that if you turn on thin provisioning and you turn on snapshots the NAS will completely run itself out of space, even though the NAS will tell you there is space left.  Support told me that since the device thought it had 20% storage left and it really didn't, upgrading of the firmware caused the operating system to become corrupt.  This caused a big problem for me.  There was no way to recover the data if you are using an iSCSI connection and do not have a spare drive that has almost as much storage of your NAS is.  I did not and this resulted in all the data on the device being lost.

Message 4 of 7
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello doubleb53,

Thank you for sharing your resolution and/or workaround. It does appear that the case was escalated to our engineering department for possible fix through the back end, were they able assist you? 

Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
doubleb53
Aspirant

Yes they were the ones that informed me of what happened.  They were responsive, and that was good.  Just wish there would have been a way to copy the data off in smaller amounts.

Message 6 of 7
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello doubleb53,

It nice to hear you manage to get a copy of the data from NAS. Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements