× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - 3EP943E6002F4 - Cannot set file access. Check if specified user or group exists..

JNMWMT
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 - 3EP943E6002F4 - Cannot set file access. Check if specified user or group exists...

The unit is setup with local accounts. Adding/Changing permissions have worked fine historically. Last week the firmware was upgraded to 6.7.4 and there were no issues including permissions until yesterday. 3 users who had RW access to a share lost write ability despite the permissions being RW. The unit has beeen rebooted and now permissions cannot be set for anyone, new or existing.

Error below is the message I receive if trying to change permissions from the shares settings page.

Cannot set file access. Check if specified user or group exists, or if another file access change is already in progress.<br />facl_change fail uid=107 gid=600

Code: 1007130001

Datetime: 08:02:33 06/14/2017

Model: RN10421D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - 3EP943E6002F4 - Cannot set file access. Check if specified user or group exists..

Hi again,

Well so the SMB access it totally open to anyone. That is fine I guess. You are then limiting permissions based on file permissions. There is nothing wrong with that, but I would not recommend doing that when only using Local Users and not AD. Reason being that file permissions from the GUI can be fiddly at times. Normally, it is sufficient to restrict access on the network level (SMB Permissions) in setups that don't involve larger scale solutions (such as AD integrated storage devices).

Network permissions is just easier to manage from the GUI.

Anyhow, if you want everyone to gain access again you can make the change from the command line quite quickly (login over SSH). I am not sure why the reset of file permissions does not work from the GUI. Anyhow, here is how you can reset access to everyone on those 3 share.

cd /data
chmod -R 777 Engineering
chmod -R 777 office-admin
chmod -R 777 Quality

Run these 4 commands one after another. They might take a few minutes to complete based on the amount of data in those shares. You will get the promt back when they are finished running. Basically, it will reset the file permissions back to R/W for everyone. You should then be able to restrict access via GUI afterwards (if you wish to do so). But I would suggest to use SMB permissions instead of file permissions for your setup.

Any issues, let us know. Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 17

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - 3EP943E6002F4 - Cannot set file access. Check if specified user or group exist...

Hello JNMWMT,

How about resetting permissions on the share and see if that makes any difference?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 17
JNMWMT
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - 3EP943E6002F4 - Cannot set file access. Check if specified user or group exist...

Thanks for the reply,

That was my thought as well. The 3 users who lost permissions to the share I removed thinking re-adding them would resolve the issue. However, now I cannot add any users to the permissions.

I have rebooted 3x as well. I even tried creating a group but I cannot add the group to the permissions either.

Message 3 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello JNMWMT,

Is the NAS joined to AD or it is just set to local users? What is this share, by the way?

Regards,

Message 4 of 17
JNMWMT
Aspirant

Not AD joined. Just local users.

Basically we bought a facility. At the moment there's some basic networking equipment and this ReadyNAS unit that came with the facility. The share just is a place for the departments to store files.

I log into it remotely with the factory admin account. There are about 10 shares on it. It doesn't matter which share, when I go to permissions and select a user for RW, click append, the circle does its circle motion for about 10 seconds then the user is not on the access list.

If I do it through the share settings window I get the message in the original post.

Message 5 of 17
JNMWMT
Aspirant

No one has any new ideas to help solve this?

Message 6 of 17
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi JNMWMT,

It sounds like the NAS has some orphan UIDs and GIDs. Do you have SSH enabled? If so, can you run this command and show the output:

ls -l /data

It is probably as simple as resetting permissions, which the GUI sometimes won't allow you to do if there are some orphan UIDs/GIDs.

Thanks

Message 7 of 17
JNMWMT
Aspirant

ls -l /data
total 0
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 guest   guest   36 Sep 15  2015 Backup
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 guest   guest  240 Jun 19 11:47 dailycommunication
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 guest   guest  352 Jun 20 07:28 Database
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 guest   guest   60 Nov 11  2016 designs
drwxrwx---+ 1 admin   admin 1162 Apr 12 15:02 Documents
drwxrwxrwt+ 1 root    root   144 Apr 12 06:59 Emails
drwxrwxr-x+ 1 Marcos  users 2626 Jun  1 10:19 Engineering
drwxr-xr-x  1 admin   admin  148 Apr 10 12:35 home
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 Luis    admin  392 May 12 13:55 Maint
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 guest   guest  110 May  5 14:02 Music
drwxrwx---+ 1 guest   guest  462 Jun 14 08:05 office-admin
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 guest   guest   92 Jun  7 08:52 Pictures
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 admin   admin  152 Jun 13 09:37 PPAP
drwxrwxr-x+ 1 quality QA-RW  290 Jun 19 09:00 Quality
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 admin   users 2140 Jun 13 12:06 Tooling
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 guest   guest   36 Sep 15  2015 Videos

Message 8 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Are all these shares?

Message 9 of 17
JNMWMT
Aspirant

Yes, some are default Shares but they are all shares.

Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

And this problem is on the file access tab for the share (not the network access tab)?

Message 11 of 17
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi again,

Well that looks better than I expected. There are no "orphan" file permission memberships on the shares. OK well, then the issue is something else. If you look at those file permissions any user can write to the following shares (from a file permissions perspective):
Backup
dailycommunication
Database
designs
Emails
Maint
Music
Pictures
PPAP
Tooling
Videos

I assume none of these shares are giving you trouble?

The share "Documents" only the admin user can access. But this a default share that you don't use anyway?

Here are 3 shares that stand out permission wise:

The share "Engineering" have these file perms:
User Marco: R/W
Group users: R/W
Everyone else: R/O

The share "office-admin" have these file perms:
User guest: R/W
Group guest: R/W
Everyone else: no access
This is a bit of a strange permission setting, is that intentional?

The share "Quality" have these file perms:
User quality: R/W
Group QA-RW: R/W
Everyone else: R/O

The shares you are having difficulties with, are they any of those 3 shares above?

Also, as StephenB mentioned - what permissions are you setting on the Network Permissions (SMB permissions), for the shares you are struggling with?

Cheers

Message 12 of 17
JNMWMT
Aspirant

You are pretty much correct on everything. I did not configure the permissions, a non-IT manager did them previously and this is not a long term solution but needs to work in the interim. So the odd setup was from someone who didn't know better and it's an "is what it is" setup for now on that one.

The 3 shares that stand out... Yes, none of those will accept permission changes. Quality is the one that initially started giving us the issues.

On the SMB Everyone and Admin have RW. Allow Annonymous access box is ticked. No other users right now have a tickbox available to even select RW for a user. However, previously there was this option and if I ticked the RW box and saved it would precess but then not add the new permissions and had the error that is in the original post.

Message 13 of 17
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi again,

Well so the SMB access it totally open to anyone. That is fine I guess. You are then limiting permissions based on file permissions. There is nothing wrong with that, but I would not recommend doing that when only using Local Users and not AD. Reason being that file permissions from the GUI can be fiddly at times. Normally, it is sufficient to restrict access on the network level (SMB Permissions) in setups that don't involve larger scale solutions (such as AD integrated storage devices).

Network permissions is just easier to manage from the GUI.

Anyhow, if you want everyone to gain access again you can make the change from the command line quite quickly (login over SSH). I am not sure why the reset of file permissions does not work from the GUI. Anyhow, here is how you can reset access to everyone on those 3 share.

cd /data
chmod -R 777 Engineering
chmod -R 777 office-admin
chmod -R 777 Quality

Run these 4 commands one after another. They might take a few minutes to complete based on the amount of data in those shares. You will get the promt back when they are finished running. Basically, it will reset the file permissions back to R/W for everyone. You should then be able to restrict access via GUI afterwards (if you wish to do so). But I would suggest to use SMB permissions instead of file permissions for your setup.

Any issues, let us know. Cheers

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Hopchen wrote:

But I would suggest to use SMB permissions instead of file permissions for your setup.

Me too.

Message 15 of 17
JNMWMT
Aspirant

Thanks, they can now RW to the drive. Yes the permissions are setup horribly but this unit came with the facilty we bought and is only an interim solution while we get our servers setup and installed.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Message 16 of 17
Hopchen
Prodigy

Glad to help. Please consider marking this case a "Solved". Cheers.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements