× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 1100 - can't get it to power on

quinc
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 1100 - can't get it to power on

Hi

I am a software developer, and am pretty good with hardware and networking, but have never used a NAS before, so am looking to get some help please...

I bought 2 rack mountable ReadyNas 1000's from the company I work for after we moved to new offices. They each came with 4 * 750 gig drives.

I got them home, plugged power into one and switched it on using the switch next to the power cable socket. It started up with a blinking blue light and green flashing led's one drives 2 to 4. It stayed on for a few seconds then turned off. Since then, I can't get it to turn on again. I did notice that there is some flickering of the led's for LAN 1 and 2 on the front panel for a split second when I turn the power switch on, but nothing else.

The second unit does the same as the first. The network/hardware guy in my office told me that the NAS devices were both working when they were turned off last. I can't ask him for help because he has since passed away, and our network support is no longer done in-house. There is apparently a bad disk in one of them, but I don't know which drive it is.

My questions:

1. Should a NAS power up if I pull all the drives?

2. If there is a bad drive in one NAS, will that stop the whole thing from powering up?

3. Does the LAN cable have to be connected to allow the NAS to power up, or can it still power up without the LAN plugged in?

Thank you for any and all help in advance.

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 1100 - can't get it to power on

@quinc wrote:

1. Should a NAS power up if I pull all the drives?

Yes, but it won't fully boot.  The OS is on the drives

2. If there is a bad drive in one NAS, will that stop the whole thing from powering up?

Not usually, but it can.

3. Does the LAN cable have to be connected to allow the NAS to power up, or can it still power up without the LAN plugged in?

It powers up w/o network.

I suggest downloading RAIDar 4.3.8 (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ReadyNAS/RAIDar_Win_4_3_8.exe) - it might be able to discover the two NAS, and give you some more information.  

If you have a scratch disk, try removing all the installed drives (labeling them by slot) and installing just the scratch.  The NAS should automatically do a fresh install on to the scratch when you power up.  If the NAS has recent firmware you can use drives up to 2 TB.  If the NAS firmware is old, you might be limited to 1.5 TB.  

Message 2 of 4
quinc
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply...

My two NAS units seems to be not working at all. I don't know it its a power supply problem or something else.

These are the steps I took to try get them running.

1. Removed all 4 drives.

2. Plugged power in.

3. Switched the NAS on.

I also tried adding drives one at a time, doing the above between adding each.

Nothing comes on. The LAN led's flickered once or twice, but nothing else happened at all.

If anyone has any bright ideas, please let me know about them. Otherwise they are going into the trash.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

It seems odd that both PSUs would fail in the same way at the same time.

You might try opening them up, and reseating the memory (and any boards you see).  Vibration from transporting the two NAS might have unseated something.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements