× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 202 Change Password Tool Doesn't Work

LowTechOldGuy
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 202 Change Password Tool Doesn't Work

Hello.

I have a ReadyNAS 202, firmware 6.6.1.  I have setup six (6) user accounts complete with privileges (using ReadyNAS permissions - no Windows Active

Directory), user names, & passwords.  I want the users to be able to establish their own passwords so I pointed them to the “Change Password Tool” link:

https://<MyReadyNAS IP address>/password_recovery/my_password.html

The expected screen opens, people make their changes, and get a message about a successful change.  The problem is that the new password doesn’t work but the old password will not work either (to be expected).  Rebooting the client computer, waiting, nor rebooting the NAS will allow the new password to work.  The problem is repeatable.  Only the sole allowed NAS administrator can change the password.  What is the problem?

I see that there is a ReadyNAS OS 6 Software Version 6.7.0.  When trying to update using the NAS software, I am informed that the software is up to date.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 202 Change Password Tool Doesn't Work

@LowTechOldGuy wrote:

I see that there is a ReadyNAS OS 6 Software Version 6.7.0.  When trying to update using the NAS software, I am informed that the software is up to date.

Netgear pulled 6.7.0 - for most users it worked well, but there were some issues they felt needed to be fixed.

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LowTechOldGuy wrote:

The expected screen opens, people make their changes, and get a message about a successful change.  The problem is that the new password doesn’t work but the old password will not work either (to be expected).  Rebooting the client computer, waiting, nor rebooting the NAS will allow the new password to work.  The problem is repeatable. 

This is fixed in ReadyNAS OS 6.7.1 Beta 1

Message 3 of 6
LowTechOldGuy
Aspirant

Thank you all for the feedback!!  It’s nice to know that it’s not something I was doing wrong.  I am anxious to get that Password problem resolved but am concerned that the BETA software may cause additional unrelated problems.  Are my concerns baseless?  Is there a time estimate for the release of the updated firmware?  Supporting our small network and workgroup is not my primary function and I don’t want to inadvertently create problems that didn’t exist which invariably burn lots of time.  Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@LowTechOldGuy wrote:

...am concerned that the BETA software may cause additional unrelated problems.  Are my concerns baseless?

No.  Beta software isn't as thoroughly tested as released software. Plus normal support might be denied if you install it, and they advise against downgrading.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-7-1-T244-Beta-1/m-p/1266584#U126...

WARNINGS:

• Unless you are advised by NETGEAR Support in a support case to update to beta software, NETGEAR Support may deny support if you are running beta software. You can seek help here on the NETGEAR Community for issues encountered on the beta.
  • Devices updated with 6.7.1 firmware should not be downgraded to earlier firmware versions.

So there is some risk, especially if you are installing it on a production system.  6.7.1-T244 so far is running ok on my RN524,  I have not tried it on my RN202 (which isn't used at the moment).

@LowTechOldGuy wrote:

Is there a time estimate for the release of the updated firmware?

Generally they won't predict release dates.

Message 5 of 6
LowTechOldGuy
Aspirant

Thanks again for the reply.  I guess I need to decide if I’m feeling lucky!  Well, I think I’ll be bold and give it a try.  I’ll report back later this week with the results.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements