× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need Help Understanding Snapshots

CLHatch
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:
I think "previous versions" is a very nice feature ReadyNAS feature, and perhaps under-publicized.

If you know what file you want to roll back, it is much faster/more convenient than browsing through a ton of snapshots.

Unfortunately, seems the "Previous Versions" feature has been changed in Windows 10 (or maybe in Windows 8, not sure).  They now have you specify a location to "back up" to for the previous versions.  So the snapshots are no longer available through the Windows Previous Versions feature.

Message 26 of 34
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

I am not seeing that issue on my Windows 10 install.

Did you go into the share configuration on the ReadyNAS to enable the "Allow Snapshot Access"?
That button does two things:
1) mounts your snapshots to a folder so you can browse
2) allows the functionality for "Previous Versions" in windows.
Message 27 of 34
CLHatch
Luminary

@OOM-9 wrote:

Did you go into the share configuration on the ReadyNAS to enable the "Allow Snapshot Access"?

I'll need to verify this later, but pretty sure I did both, yes.  Windows 8 through 10, they changed the Previous Versions to where it uses the File History option, where you specify a drive to store the previous versions to.

Message 28 of 34
CLHatch
Luminary

@OOM-9 wrote:

Just checked a few other folders, and it seems you're right, it is still working as expected.  Looking at it, the ones I had tested it on did not have "Allow Snapshot Access" turned on.  But checking my Home folder (one that did have it turned on), it does work.

Incidentally, too bad there's no "easy" way for a user to do a manual snapshot of a share through Windows (that I know of?).  Would be very nice for my wife to be able to do a snapshot of her work share before working on some graphics.  I'd rather not have her log into the admin page to do a snapshot, and risk her mucking up anything in the process.

Incidentally, could I get a bit of advice?  Currently, I am using the User mode of OS6.  In each user folder (currently only two, one for me, one for my wife), I've created a Home folder, and mapped a drive letter H: to it.  I then relocated the Documents, Pictures, etc folders to drive H:, and made sure Offline Files was turned on.  I figured this way, all of our documents will be both on the computers (my desktop, and my wife's laptop) and the ReadyNAS, so we have two copies in case one or the other goes out (currently not backing up the ReadyNAS, which I know is a no no, but working on it 😄 ).  I also noticed that the Recycle Bin still works when it is done this way, going to a network drive.

The question is, would it be better to do it this way, or to keep the documents, etc, on the computer, and instead use the Windows 10 File History option to store previous versions on the NAS?  Wasn't sure if there was "backup" option in there to make sure there was a copy of all files on the NAS or not.  I do like that File History can be set to operate more often than snapshots do...

Message 29 of 34
StephenB
Guru

The benefit of your method is that if you and your wife both change the same file (offline),  Windows will give you a sync conflict, and you can then reconcile the changes.

Though I think if I were in your shoes, I would turn off off-line access, and create a backup directory on one or both PCs.  Then use robocopy (or frontview backup) to make scheduled backups of NAS shares to the PC hard drives.  

Message 30 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Snapshots make efficient use of space.

Message 31 of 34
CLHatch
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS 312 Need Help Understanding Snapshots

I'm thinking what I might do is keep it as is with offline access turned on, but set up a backup to my 4TB data drive on my PC as you suggested. We currently don't both edit files in that share, but it is good to know that she can still access the files if the NAS is rebooting, etc, and they'll sync back to it once it comes back online.
Message 32 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@CLHatch wrote:
I'm thinking what I might do is keep it as is with offline access turned on, but set up a backup to my 4TB data drive on my PC as you suggested. We currently don't both edit files in that share, but it is good to know that she can still access the files if the NAS is rebooting, etc, and they'll sync back to it once it comes back online.

Makes sense to me.  I like that better than depending on offline access as a backup. 

Message 33 of 34
CLHatch
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@CLHatch wrote:

Makes sense to me.  I like that better than depending on offline access as a backup. 

Got it backing up those important files to my desktop.  I installed DeltaCopy on my desktop, and did a rsync backup using that... saw it complained about a long filename, did some googling, then updated the rsync, ssh, and libraries in the install folder to the latest from cygwgin to fix that.  Thanks for the advice.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements