× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 refuses all incoming SMB connections with "Access Denied"

jhu23
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 refuses all incoming SMB connections with "Access Denied"

I've got a ReadyNAS set up as a backup storage location for our server 2008R2 servers. I am looking to move from Rsync to Veeam, which means switching the way I connect to the NAS. I have set up a new folder and a new user account on the NAS (we do not have AD).

I have granted the account "veeam" read/write access to the folder "Veeam_Fileserver". I have also added veeam in to the file access tab. I have made sure SMB is enabled on the folder as well. I have the workgroup name set.

When I go to \\nas\veeamfolder I get prompted for credentials. Entering the user account I set up for this purpose gets rejected with access denied. I have tried using the workgroup I set (i.e. workgroup\veeam) but same result - access denied.

Any idea what I've missed?

Model: RN31442E|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
jhu23
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 314 refuses all incoming SMB connections with "Access Denied"

Looking at the logs you just provided I noticed the server was connecting with IPV6. I disabled IPV6 on the server's NIC and the server can now connect with no issues. Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the NAS in the same workgroup as your PC?

Have you checked to make sure that there are no other connections to the NAS from this PC (you can do this using the "net use" command from the command prompt)?

Message 2 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

Have you checked to make sure that there are no other connections to the NAS from this PC (you can do this using the "net use" command from the command prompt)?

There is a workaround here - if you need to use two credentials with the NAS for SMB sessions, then you can use one with the NAS hostname and the other with the NAS IP address.

Message 3 of 17
jhu23
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply - no the server has 0 mapped network drives. It does connect to the NAS via a program called Acrosync which uses rsync. Could that be the issue?

Edited to add that yes they are both on the same workgroup

Message 4 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jhu23 wrote:

It does connect to the NAS via a program called Acrosync which uses rsync. Could that be the issue?

No, rsync doesn't use SMB sessions.

Assuming that your RN314 uses the default data name for it's volume, and you aren't using the default admin password...

Can you try mapping the NAS data volume to a drive letter with net use?  For instance

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

If you aren't familiar with these commands - be careful with the typing.  The spaces and the slash directions matter.

Message 5 of 17
jhu23
Aspirant

Yep, I had tried that already unfortunately. Same result - Access Denied. Tried using my Veeam user as well as Admin. (Admin's password is not default)

Message 6 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 7 of 17
jhu23
Aspirant

No worries, I've sent an email to the mod address with my zip file attached.

Message 8 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can see the failed login attempts in smbd.log.

You are running old firmware (6.7.5). You may wish to update the firmware and see if that helps. We are using a newer version of the samba package (used for the SMB server/client) in the current firmware so it would be good to rule out the issue being something addressed by a firmware update.

Message 9 of 17
jhu23
Aspirant

I see I can move to update 6.9.3, will it cause any config changes / downtime? I do not have physical access to the NAS, will it come back on its own?

Message 10 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should preserve the config (except for adding anything needed for new firmware) and come back on its own but it's always best to be prepared just in case it doesn't come back up.

Message 11 of 17
jhu23
Aspirant

I am now on 6.9.3 but issue still exists - access denied when attempting to access my SMB share with windows GUI or command prompt net use.

Message 12 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you provide fresh logs?

Does the user you're trying to use have the same name as the user on your PC or your computer name?

Message 13 of 17
jhu23
Aspirant

I have sent another email with a new zip file. I did try creating a local account called veeam on my 2008R2 server with the same password as is on the NAS but no dice.

Message 14 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I wonder if there could be a firewall issue perhaps?

The authentication succeeds and milliseconds later the connection is denied.

[2018/08/23 12:20:10.841951,  2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:314(auth_check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user [veeam] -> [veeam] -> [veeam] succeeded
[2018/08/23 12:20:10.904174,  0] ../lib/util/access.c:361(allow_access)
  Denied connection from IPv6 address

Message 15 of 17
jhu23
Aspirant

Looking at the logs you just provided I noticed the server was connecting with IPV6. I disabled IPV6 on the server's NIC and the server can now connect with no issues. Thanks for your help!

Message 16 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Great! Glad that it's now solved.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements