× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 316 Expanding Volume Changing Raid

Sonny240
Follower

ReadyNAS 316 Expanding Volume Changing Raid

Hello Netgear Community,

I need some help. Currently i have a ReadyNas 316 with 6 3 tb running Raid 5. I want to upgrade the drive to 6 4tb drive and switch the raid to 10. What is the best pratice to proceed with this. 

Model: RN31663E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x3TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 316 Expanding Volume Changing Raid

@Sonny240 wrote:

Hello Netgear Community,

I need some help. Currently i have a ReadyNas 316 with 6 3 tb running Raid 5. I want to upgrade the drive to 6 4tb drive and switch the raid to 10. What is the best pratice to proceed with this. 

To switch the RAID mode you will need to destroy the existing data volume.  There are two ways to do that:

• do a factory reset, set up the NAS again in FlexRaid
  • uninstall all apps, switch to FlexRaid, destroy the data volume, create a new one, reinstall all apps.

Both methods are destructive, so you will need a full backup of your files (restoring them when finished).

If you instead keep the NAS running XRAID, you can simply hot-swap the disks one at a time (waiting for resync to complete).  The volume will expand  by 1 TB after the second disk is resynced (and also for the two remaining disks).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements