× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3200 Fan failure

Partha-Dash
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3200 Fan failure

Hi All,

We have a ReadyNAS 3200 which was running fine till yesterday but now we see the NAS is running but not online and  we are getting "Fan Failure". message . We have checked all the fans and they are working fine.

Can anyone please suggest what is the issue with this NAS. we have lots of TB's data on it

Thanks

Partha

Model: ReadyNASRN12P1220|ReadyNAS 3200 24TB (12 X 2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 3200 Fan failure

If you didn't also check the CPU fan, be sure you do.  Though the fan may be turning, the tach output of it may not be working.  I don't recall if OS4.2.x shows all fan speeds  or if the specific fan that failed is listed in the log since I run OS6 on my 4200, where it does show all speeds.  But if you do have an indication of which fan it is, just swap the connections on two and see if the problem moves with the fan.  If it does, replace the fan.  If it doesn't, you have a motherboard issue.  Unless it's the CPU fan, you can probably live with a bad indication as long as the fan really is turning; but you would not be warned if another failed unless the temperature rises above the warning limit.

The 3200 chassis is made by SuperMicro and fans are readilly available.  The CPU fan is a stock Intel Socket 775 fan.

Message 2 of 4
Partha-Dash
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark,

Thanks for your response

We did check and all the fans are working fine so if its a motherboard issue can you please suggest from when can we get this fixed as we have lots of data on this NAS and those are important

Thanks

Partha

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

By "all the fans are working fine" do you mean that you have swapped connectors and the issue follows the position on the motherboard, not the fan?  Just because a fan is turning does not mean that the tachometer output is working.

Parts are not available if it is the motherboard.  While the board is a standard SuperMicro one, it has a custom BIOS and the ReadyNAS OS will not boot without it (or at least it won't on a 4200V2, and I assume the same is true on a 3200).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements