× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3312 switch from raid10 to XRaid

technoconsulter
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3312 switch from raid10 to XRaid

I Have a ReadyNas 3312 set up on Raid 10 at the moment with a total usable capacity of 10Tb. I've recently wanted to increase the capacity but I found out that Raid10 is not vertically expandable. Reading in the forums I think that with X-Raid I might be able to expand the raid10 but I don't think that there is a way to convert the raid10 to xraid without needing to re-format the whole partition(I hope I'm wrong), Is there a solution for me? i just want to att an additional 2Tb to the partition.. Many thanks in advance!

Model: RR3312| ReadyNAS 12 Bays with up to 120TB total storage
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 3312 switch from raid10 to XRaid

Hi @technoconsulter

Welcome to the Community!

You cannot change to XRAID with RAID 0 or RAID 10 configurations but you can vertically or horizontally expand a Flex-RAID.

With RAID10 you need to add even number of disks when trying to expand it. You add the additional disks then select them and click the Expand button on the volume settings. The volume will expand instantly but a resync will have to be done but you will still be able to use the NAS.

Also with X-RAID you will have RAID 6 configured since RAID10, RAID50, RAID60 are configurable through Flex-RAID only.

Please see OS 6.9.3 Software Manual

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @technoconsulter

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 8
technoconsulter
Aspirant

Many Thanks for your reply, 

I don't know then what happened but at the moment I've replaced 2 Hard Drives (previously 2Tb each) with 4Tb each and the total size of the volume is still the same. the configuration I have in place at this moment is: 2x 4Tb + 2x3Tb + 8x2Tb (Raid10 configuration)

Message 4 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @technoconsulter

It is because the Volume is limited on the smallest disk size available which is the 2TB disk. Your 4TB disk is only using half of it's total cap and the other 2TB is unused. You can replace all 2TB and 3TB disk to fully optimize the volume space of your 4TB disks.

Your unused space can also become a new volume since you are on Flex-RAID.

Regards

Message 5 of 8
technoconsulter
Aspirant

so there is no way to allocate all the space to one volume instead of limiting the size to the smallest disk size, unless I format the whole volume? Formatting the volume is a big problem for me as I have almost 10Tb of data that I don't know where to move them to and the whole volume is also synced with google (but I hae a lot of errors in the sync log). 

I could't find the way to see the un-used space. 

Message 6 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @technoconsulter

You will be able to utilize all disks space in a single volume if you are on X-RAID but with your current configuration (RAID10) it's not possible to convert the volume to X-RAID.

With Flex-RAID you can create a new volume to use the unallocated disk space but if you want to have it allocated to a single volume then that will only be possible with X-RAID which means destroying the current volume and set it up as X-RAID (RAID6). Only when you have replaced all disks with the same sizes that the unused space will be added on your current volume configuration.

Also, make sure your firmware is up to date OS 6.9.3

Regards

Message 7 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

Maybe some experiments with this Netgear UTILITY may help explain it

Hovering your mouse over "Capacity" in the right hand box gives extra info

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies