× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition - CPU Fan

sylvainp
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition - CPU Fan

Hi all, my CPU fan is starting to make a ticking sound and I contact Netgear and ask about getting a replacement fan.
But I need to send the complete unit and they cannot just send me a new Fan !

So I decide to keep my unit because it's working good and I don't want to get a refurb unit.

The Fan is an 80 x 80 x 15mm (height) and also has a 4 pin header plug.
These fans are hard to find because they are low profil model

Is it a PWM fan ?
Can we use a fan with 3 pin fan header ?

Any recommendation for fan model and brand compatible with the original heatsink without modification and also that will fit
with the side panel closed ? (Noise level, performance, etc.)

So far I have found these fans:

Silenx IXP-52-11
Noiseblocker PC-P (80 x15mm)
Delta EFB0812LB

Thanks
Message 1 of 8
Nhellie
Virtuoso

you can check the marketplace and the compatiblity boards:

viewforum.php?f=24 - hardware compatibility boards, you may find model numbers that have been used by other NAS users in replacement to the original fan.

viewforum.php?f=33 - Marketplace

Take note though that if you replace the fan yourself, the warranty will be void.
Message 2 of 8
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Hi sylvainp,

I just want to share these following forum links and it might help you with your concern:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39652&start=30

https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=76512

https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... 24&t=77868
Message 3 of 8
bosnatine
Aspirant

I have a Readynas Pro 6 Business Edition with 1GB RAM, and I upgraded the processor to an E6600 2.4ghz C2D. This has worked flawlessly transcoding anything i've thrown at it, and it sits at 30 degrees idle.
Message 4 of 8
sylvainp
Aspirant

bosnatine wrote:
I have a Readynas Pro 6 Business Edition with 1GB RAM, and I upgraded the processor to an E6600 2.4ghz C2D. This has worked flawlessly transcoding anything i've thrown at it, and it sits at 30 degrees idle.

I have the ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition so I don't think the E6600 would fit in my NAS.

You have the ReadyNAS Pro 6 Business Edition. Did you use a Retail version of the E6600 with it's heatsink or you use the same heatsink and fan that comes with the ReadyNAS Pro 6 BE ?

What do you mean by transcoding anything ? I never see anything on the NAS that I could use it as a video transcoder or such a thing on the ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition.
Maybe I miss something here...
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It depends on the age of the motherboard, the BIOS version etc. Some very older motherboard revs don't support as wide a range of CPUs. Replacing the CPU does void the 5-year limited hardware warranty so if you really want to replace the CPU you may wish to wait till that runs out in about three months before doing that.

The Pro 6 is essentially quite similar to the Pro Business Edition, but depending on when your unit was manufactured it may have a new motherboard.

If you download the logs, what is the date in bios_ver.log?

The Plex Media Server add-on for instance can be used to transcode video.
Message 6 of 8
sylvainp
Aspirant

Sorry to be late on this topic I was very busy.

The Bios date is : 10/03/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.6
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements