× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS regulary drops connection

Sheeraz
Aspirant

ReadyNAS regulary drops connection

Hi guys,

We have a ReadyNAS 516 which is used as our main source of fileshare/storage - We are a mixed environment of PC's (windows 7-10) and Mac's. We find that throughout the day we have regular disconnection of the fileshare, so users who are working on an exisitng document from the share are unable to save, and users looking to open files are unable to do so as the share does not seem to be live anymore. A couple of minutes later we find that everything connects again and works as normal. The status of the NAS is healthy, and all the drives are fine. There is no disk spin-down time enabled either.

Is there any reason as to why this is happening? What can we do ro rectify the issue? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Firmware: 6.6.1

Thanks in advance,

Sheeraz

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Lets assume, that what you experience is not caused by the way your network infrastructure is setup.

Then the nas might be for a short time overwhelmed by the following activities and temporarily not respond to users' requests:

- There are scheduled tasks being kicked off during the day like scrub, defrag, balance or disk test 

- There might be heavy workload caused by the antivrus service due to the way your users are accessing the files on the share

So, first I would make sure, that no scheduled tasks are running during the time you need the nas' capacity for your users. Second, if you can afford and antivirus service is running at the moment, switch it off for one or two days. Your users will probably let you know in case there is no improvement.

These are first guesses. Other community members might have more and better ideas.

Message 2 of 11
Sheeraz
Aspirant

Thanks for such a speedy response,

I will have a look for any scheduled tasks that may be running - although i do not think there are any.

with regards to the anti-virus - i feel uncomfortable turning the service off.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 11
dmacleo
Guide

you running an server there using ipv6?

fwiw I had similar issues before I disabled ipv6 on nas nics.

Message 4 of 11
Sheeraz
Aspirant

Hi,

We do not have a server, BUT i can see IPv6 is enabled on the NIC of the NAS, I will disable it and see if that has an improvement,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 5 of 11
dmacleo
Guide

fwiw I have one sitting at remote location with no server yet the comcast modem has ipv6 on by default (firmware does not allow disabling) which caused issues with lan shares. so possibly could still help disabling.

it does take full day of use to know for sure though.

Message 6 of 11
Sheeraz
Aspirant

That's good to know.

I have made the changes, will see what feedback i get from the users,

Fingers crossed!

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sheeraz wrote:

We do not have a server, BUT i can see IPv6 is enabled on the NIC of the NAS, I will disable it and see if that has an improvement,

Windows 10 will often use ipv6 link-local addresses by preference, so disabling ipv6 in the NAS can help even if ipv6 is disabled in the router.

Of course if your network needs ipv6, then you shouldn't disable it.

Message 8 of 11
dmacleo
Guide

yeah if running server 2012r2 or higher essentails (or full server with essentials role) you may need it.

I was lucky on the remote locations as my essentials connectors still worked fine with ipv6 disabled on all clients due to yet another comcast modem not following the stateful/stateless seettings and only trating the server 2012r2 essentials as ipv6 dhcp server.

however on the nas box itself I do not think it would matter realy, so interested to see if disabling works.

right here at home running 2 full server 2012r2 servers, one with essentials role and ipv6 enabled dhcp role second exchange 2013.

my modem bridged to netgear fvs336gv3 and ipv6 enabled on clients which are domain joined.

both my 104 and 314 nas units have ipv6 disabled with zero access issues including from 2 NON domain linux mint systems and 2 rasp pi units

Message 9 of 11
Sheeraz
Aspirant

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your suggestions, unfortunately disabling IPv6 has not improved the situation. Users are all still losing connection to the NAS for a few minutes before regaining connection,

Dont think i'll be left with much hair at the end of this! Smiley LOL

Anything else i could test?

Thanks in advance,

Message 10 of 11
dmacleo
Guide

on one or two machines known to have the issuse can you disable ipv6 on them?

that way those clients as well as the nas would have ipv6 disabled and if those clients stop having issues you know to disable ipv6 on all clients or look at your router ipv6 settings.

what handles your dns and dhcp on this network?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements