× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 214 XRAID to FLEX-RAID disk change issues.

Chessdude
Aspirant

ReadyNas 214 XRAID to FLEX-RAID disk change issues.

Hi all. my ReadyNas 214 packs a punch with a 10TB Seagate Wolf disk which is almost full. At the advise of one of the SUPERUSERS on this forum, I decided to go with changing X-RAID to Flex-RAID (Back-up done externally) after which I added another brand new similar 10TB (Seagate Ironwolf) in order to achieve 20TB storage capacity. As per the instructions, I've
1. Clicked on the XRAID control on the volume tab
2. Hot inserted the new drive
But when it comes to step 3, I cannot 'select the drive from the graphic on the volume tab' as the drive is not showing up at all, even under the volume tab. It does not look like its being detected at all. When I inserted the disk in the bay for the first time, there was some constant beeping noise every 4 seconds or so. When I removed it, the beeping would stop. So far its been about an hour since I put it back in, and although the beeping has now stopped, the disk is still not being detected.
1) Is this normal occurrence for Flex-RAID or new drives?
2) How long does it take for the drive to show up on the volumes tab?

3) Is it possible to revert back to X-RAID if I decide to?
My last resort will be to buy a SATA to USB adapter cable and run a Seagate disk-check utility. The disk could be DOA for all I know.
I'm at my wits end, please help. Thanks.

One urban myth is the assumption that everyone is tech savvy.- Regis 1970-current.#

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Chessdude
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 214 XRAID to FLEX-RAID disk change issues.

@Chessdude wrote:

But when it comes to step 3, I cannot 'select the drive from the graphic on the volume tab' as the drive is not showing up at all, even under the volume tab. It does not look like its being detected at all. 
My last resort will be to buy a SATA to USB adapter cable and run a Seagate disk-check utility. The disk could be DOA for all I know.

After numerous and numerous attempts of continuously trying each of the three available bays, the disk was finally detected, phew!! Saved me the tedious process of returning it. All sorted now, I'm happy as Larry. Thank you all anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Chessdude
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 214 XRAID to FLEX-RAID disk change issues.

@Chessdude wrote:

But when it comes to step 3, I cannot 'select the drive from the graphic on the volume tab' as the drive is not showing up at all, even under the volume tab. It does not look like its being detected at all. 

After numerous and numerous attempts of continuously trying each of the three available bays, the disk was finally detected, phew!! Saved me the tedious process of returning it. All sorted now, I'm happy as Larry. Thank you all anyway.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements