× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo really slow -- kswapd0 high

nicolasg
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo really slow -- kswapd0 high

Hi Netgear community,

My company has a ReadyNas Duo 102 (6.4.0) and we have several problems since few weeks.
I "repaired" what I could but now I need your advices.

Basically, the Nas became really slow since 3 weeks.
It seemed that the snapshot system had problems and cleaning all the snapshots was the only solution.
The Nas worked better after that but unfortunately our teams still had (and have) difficulties to navigate into shares.

Using "top" command (ssh), I observe that the "kswapd0" is really using. It does not sound good to me.
I tried to restart the system several times but after few days, the problem comes again.

For me, there is something wrong with the system and several memory leaks start the "swap" function.

I am thinking about "reseting" the firmware but the impact on data (500GB) has to be challenged (backup system).

What do you think?
I open to every advice.

Thank you.

--

More information about what I observe:
- Once, after restarting, the Nas started (got the IP address but no share were mounted) after 1 hour.
- The balance is really slow (1 day is not enough anymore. I had to kill the process after 1 day [75% were done]).
- Searching for updates does not respond (using RAIDar)

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Duo really slow -- kswapd0 high

@nicolasg wrote:

My company has a ReadyNas Duo 102 (6.4.0)

It's not a Duo (if you call it that, people here will reply as if it were a duo v1 or duo v2).  It's just an RN102.

@nicolasg wrote:

Using "top" command (ssh), I observe that the "kswapd0" is really using. It does not sound good to me.

What services do you have enabled?  You might need to disable some of them to reduce the memory footprint.

It's also possible that your NAS is simply undersized.  You have an entry-level home NAS.  An RN422 is more suitable choice for business use.

Message 2 of 9
nicolasg
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Thanks for your answer.

You are right. Not a Duo 🙂

Here are the active services : SMB, AFP, FTP, ReadyDLNA, UPnP, HTTP, HTTPS, SSH. No antivirus, no apps (I deleted the only apps we had). Hope it helps.

We have the Nas since more than 3 years and that is the first time we have these problems. Before changing model, every technical advice sounds good to me.

Regards.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Do you have quotas enabled on the volume? If you do, try disabling them (this is done by clicking on the volume settings wheel).

Message 4 of 9
nicolasg
Aspirant

Unfortunately, no quotas enabled.

Message 5 of 9
jak0lantash
Mentor

If you're running 6.4.0, the quotas ARE enabled on the volume (quota accounting) even though you haven't set any quotas on any share.

There is no GUI option in 6.4.0 to disable the quota accounting at the volume level.

You really should update your firmware, 6.4.0 wasn't the best for ARM units. And a RN102 is not designed for professional use.

There is a good chance your volume is heavily fragmented and the NAS struggling. If you want to use a RN102 and still get acceptable performance, you need to use the correct configuration, no bit rot protection, no compression, no quota accounting, as little snapshotting as possible, etc.

If you start defrag and balance on your RN102 running 6.4.0, if the volume is in poor health, it will most likely collapse.

Message 6 of 9
nicolasg
Aspirant

Hi jak0lantash,

Thank you for you answer.

Is there any ssh command to check quota service status ?

Updating the firmware is an option that i was (and am) taking seriously. It is always good to have such confirmation from experts.

FYI, last weekend, degrag ended good. Balance took 2 days for (only) 80%.
As you said, we lost performance...

New nas is on the road.

Regards.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Try btrfs qgroup show /data If you are using flexraid, use one of your actual volume names.  

If you see a list of qgroupids then quotas are enabled.

Message 8 of 9
nicolasg
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

You were right quotas are enabled.

Unfortunately, our current Nas collapsed 2 days ago and we had serious problems using it.
Good news, we received the new one and everything is OK now.

When I get time, I will reset the old Nas. Maybe it is "broken" maybe it not not. We will see.

Thanks for your support.

Regards.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements