× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 104 FlexRaid 6 File recovery

Brenning
Aspirant

Readynas 104 FlexRaid 6 File recovery

Hi,

I have a readynas 104 set up with Flexraid 6 and the recycle bin feature is turned off etc. I recently accidentally deleted some files and really need to recover them. Things looked a lot easier with ext4 but with this new BTFRS file system I'm having no luck finding any software for Windows that can mount the raid so i can scan for deleted files. FYI i have powered down the NAS and removed the drives, connected them to a Windows PC. They are labelled up so i know what order they were in the NAS.

Can anyone offer any help? I have made a full backup of the raid 6 array. The array is built with 4 x 4TB drives, 50% space used.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 104 FlexRaid 6 File recovery

Did you have snapshots enabled on the shares?  If so, you can reinsert the disks in the NAS and recover old files from web admin ui.

I don't know of any free windows software that will do what you want.  You could try ReclaiMe - trying it is free, but recovering files is not.  https://www.reclaime.com/

You could also try booting up the PC with a linux live disk, and installing mdadm and btrfs.

Message 2 of 7
Brenning
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for the reply. No snapshots are not enabled (otherwise I would have just recovered using this feature). I tried reclaime but couldnt get it to install, but to be honest i am surprised that is the only windows based software out there.

Regarding the linux method, is there a step by step guide with commands? I'm willing to try it but don't have a huge amount of Linux experience hence the guide would really help. Just to be clear, would the linux method allow me to scan for deleted files and check what they are before recovering (using a GUI) ? Listing the deleted files via command line would be a pain as i suspect there will be a lot, plus I'm not 100% sure if the files I'm looking for were actually on the NAS (long story)

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Brenning wrote:

I tried reclaime but couldnt get it to install, but to be honest i am surprised that is the only windows based software out there.

There isn't a lot of Windows software that works with ext either.  

What version of windows are you using?  I haven't seen any posts on ReclaiMe install issues here before.

@Brenning wrote:

No snapshots are not enabled (otherwise I would have just recovered using this feature).

I thought so, but thought I'd confirm (since there is no recycle bin feature on OS-6 NAS unless you add that with ssh).

@Brenning wrote:

Regarding the linux method, is there a step by step guide with commands? I'm willing to try it but don't have a huge amount of Linux experience hence the guide would really help. Just to be clear, would the linux method allow me to scan for deleted files and check what they are before recovering (using a GUI) ? Listing the deleted files via command line would be a pain as i suspect there will be a lot, plus I'm not 100% sure if the files I'm looking for were actually on the NAS (long story)

It would require using the command line interface, and it isn't easy.  If you are prepared to pay for ReclaiMe, then perhaps consider using Netgear's data recovery service ( https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service ).  

Message 4 of 7
Brenning
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies so far. I now have the raid volume mounted in Linux and can see all of the current data. I have a spare 8TB drive and would like to restore any deleted files to this. Is there a command i can run to just restore anything thats been deleted to this other drive without copying the current data?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I haven't tried this, but there is a script that might work at https://gist.github.com/Changaco/45f8d171027ea2655d74

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's important whichever method you use that you don't restore the files directly to the same volume that you are recovering data from. If you write to the data volume it will overwrite at least some of the deleted data further reducing the chances of data recovery.

It's also important to avoid running volume maintenance (especially defrag + balance) as some of these operations would make lots of writes to the data volume.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements