× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Server that appears to have been hijacked

Lasertop
Aspirant

Readynas Server that appears to have been hijacked

For several years now I have run my ReadyNAS server with no issue, but over the last couple days I have found that I can no longer log into the server, I have two accounts who's passwords don't work and even when I attempt to reset my password it fails.  I suspect that someone has taken control of the server and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how I could gain back control of my system, short of reformatting the whole thing.

Thanks

Bob Shafer

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas Server that appears to have been hijacked

You could disconnect the NAS from the internet (for instance, disconnect your router's internet connection for a bit), and then do an OS reinstall from the front panel.  That will reset the admin password, and let you into the NAS.

Whether that's enough depends on what the hijacker did.   A factory reset is the safest option.

Message 2 of 4
Lasertop
Aspirant

Thank You, that worked wonderfully.

Message 3 of 4
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi,

As @StephenB mentioned, please be careful.

1. If a "hacker" got access to it, there could be scripts quietly sitting in the background relaying your data to somewhere else in the world.

2. There could be spyware/malware installed on the unit, etc.

3. Safest thing is to Factory Default and then don't use port forwarding to the NAS unless you really need to + have a strong password. An OS-reinstall won't fix any malicious stuff done by a hacker. Just because you gain access to the NAS again, does not mean it is safe to use if it really was compromised.

Cheers

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements