× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3.

Sei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3.

I have exactly the same error message (FW: 6.6.1) after I had a "btrfs search forward +2d4" error message on the display. The NAS was not accessible, I had to remove the power and reboot the device. Now it states that there is no volume and I should "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3"

Model: RN214

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs. Sounds like you should contact support. However there would be some costs involved in looking into this.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs. Sounds like you should contact support. However there would be some costs involved in looking into this.

Message 3 of 10
Sei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply! Do you have an idea what caused the problems? I just could do a factor reset; however, it would be good to know whether I have to expect this again.

Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In this case that would likely require a deeper analysis that may be done by support if you purchased the appropriate support.

Message 5 of 10
masammut
Aspirant

Hi There, I just had the same problem occur to me - Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3.

Can you help me please?

I have a copy of the dmesg output if you need it.

Thanks 

Mark

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs. You also should contact support.

Message 7 of 10
Sei
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally resolve the issue by using ssh to login to my readynas. As superuser I was able to mount the btrfs volume (md127) using the command

mount -o recovery /dev/md127 /data

This allowed me to backup the data on external drives. Nevertheless, I have to recreate the volume for further use. When searching the forum it appears that this error happens quite often indicating that btrfs is quite unreliable. Even though I could not figure out why the volume got corrupted.

Are there more reliable options? 

Message 8 of 10
mtuhusky
Aspirant

I'm getting the same error in my ReadyNAS, except mine is "Disk 1,2,3,4"

@mdgm-ntgr, if you have time, would you take a look at these logs to see if there's anything to try besides going to paid support?

http://pastebin.com/aSaY0vg0

Do you have any resources on how to identify and eliminate corrupt logs?

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sei, we have a large installed base and the small number who have issues are the ones who tend to post on the community.

As you've seen BTRFS has some useful options for attempting data recovery. Sometimes it's not that simple. EXT4 which we used in the past has it's own issues. No filesystem is perfect.

Often we find problems can be blamed on the filesystem when the cause is to do with something completely different.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements