× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rsync over SSH causing unresponsive NAS

sneeble
Aspirant

Rsync over SSH causing unresponsive NAS

I have a network with many ReadyNAS devices at each of multiple sites. Most of them are ReadyNAS 312's, but there is one older ReadyNAS 102.

The RN312's maintain a duplicate of each others critical data using ReadyDR, which provides local access to each site to other sites data.

The RN102 doesnt support ReadyDR so I have been using an RSYNC over SSH. This all works swimmingly well... until one of the sites the RN102 backs up to goes offline part way throught an RSYNC.  Each time that happens, the RN102 becomes unresponsive. You cannot connect to it over the file shares, you cannot connect to it over the admin interface and you cannot gracefully shut it down with the power button on the front of the unit. The only way I've found to restore service is to pull the power out of the back of the device. The device has mirrored harddisks, which then need to resync each time it reboots after the power has been disconnected which takes about 12 hours before eveything settles down again. Needless to say, it is quite a remote location and although the drive is pleasant, it's getting rather annoying.

My configuration settings for the transfer are 
Source:

<users share>

Destination:

Name: remote: Rsycc over Remote SSH, Port: 0, Path: /data/<users share>, Login: <remote login name>

Schedule

Enabled, Backup every 24 Hours between 6:05pm and 11:05pm, Repeat every day of the week

Advanced

Enable Compression, Remove deleted files on target, enable FAT32 compatibility mode. DO NOT preserve hard links.

Options

Full backup every 2 weeks, on completion send errors only

This configuration works 95% of the time... only when the connection is interrupted does it become an issue.

I am almost at the point where I am going to drop backup to the rest of the network in favour of Dropbox. Any suggestions welcomed on this one.

Sorry I should add that all the ReadyNAS units are running Firmware 6.9.3

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Rsync over SSH causing unresponsive NAS

Are these backup jobs running on the RN102, or are they running on the RN312s?

Also, is there a way to run ssh remotely (over a VPN perhaps)?

Message 2 of 4
sneeble
Aspirant

The failing backup jobs are running on the RN102.

Running SSH over a VPN would be just plain stupid. That would be running encryption over encryption which would result in an exceptionally large amount of processing overhead on and already weakly powered CPU and performance degredation because you cant effectively encrypt something that is already encrypted.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@sneeble wrote:

Running SSH over a VPN would be just plain stupid. 

I was thinking you could try logging in with ssh when it goes non-responsive, and use the linux CLI to see what is going on with the NAS.

You could of course just use port forwarding, but that exposes you to brute-force password attacks.  So I suggested a VPN to eliminate that possible threat..

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements