× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow saves for Revit 2018 after OS upgrade from 6.8.1 to 6.9.2

hezner1
Tutor

Slow saves for Revit 2018 after OS upgrade from 6.8.1 to 6.9.2

We use the ReadyNAS as a file server for our architectural office. NICs are not teamed.  Shadowcopies are not enabled.  Everything was working very well until after I upgraded the OS from 6.8.1 to 6.9.2.  After the upgrade everything works the same except saving Revit 2018 models take much longer (maybe 3 minutes instead of 3 seconds).  Nothing else has changed in the environment.  Other applications including earlier versions of Revit and other Autodesk products still open and save at the previous rate.   

I see is suggested in this post https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/TrueCrypt-container/td-p/1429067 that it is possible that the difference in the default sync policy of the newer version of Samba may be a cause for this problem. 

So my questions are:  1) Has anyone else experienced this problem with Revit 2018 and ReadyNAS OS 6.9.0 or later?  2) If so, have you found a solution?  3)  In the linked post Skywalker provided both a CLI fix and an app that can be run which would adjust the default sync policy.  When I look at the app, it indicates that is should only be run if instructed to do so.  So what is the risk of the app?  4)  Does the CLI fix have the same risk?   5) How to I change the max protocol from SMB1 to SMB3?  6) And what are the risks of making the change in th SMB version?  6) Would OS 6.9.3 have upgrades that migh fix some of this?   

I apologize for such a long post and so many questions in one post.  I do appreciate any and all help and ideas that you can provide.  Pat

Model: RN322124E|ReadyNAS 3220
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
hezner1
Tutor

Re: Slow saves for Revit 2018 after OS upgrade from 6.8.1 to 6.9.2

As a reference to anyone else with this problem, I updated to OS 6.9.3.  That version includes the ability to control strict sync on a per share basis.  I unchecked strict sync for the affected shares and the save times gone back down to where they were before.  

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@hezner1 wrote:

When I look at the app, it indicates that is should only be run if instructed to do so. 

Unfortunately Skywalker's change hasn't yet been rolled into the production version.  There might be other changes in the production app, so you should probably wait for @mdgm-ntgr or some other Netgear mod to give some guidance.  In the meantime, you could install the production version of SMBPlus.

But I wondering why you are thinking this is about strict sync.  You aren't using truecrypt, correct?

@hezner1 wrote:

5) How to I change the max protocol from SMB1 to SMB3?  6) And what are the risks of making the change in th SMB version? 

The max protocol should already be SMB3 (that is the default).  Lowering the max protocol can create issues with newer versions of windows (SMB1 is no longer considered secure, and Microsoft is deprecating it).

What operating system(s) are running on your client machines?

@hezner1 wrote:

Shadowcopies are not enabled. 

Do you mean snapshots?

@hezner1 wrote:

6) Would OS 6.9.3 have upgrades that migh fix some of this?   

It shouldn't hurt to try it.

There are some settings that have been added to recent releases.  In system->settings->SMB there is a setting called "enhance MacOS" that you might try if your clients are runnng OSX.

In addition you can try disabling transport encryption for SMB (either in system->settings->SMB or on a test share).  Encryption might be affecting the performance in the client machines.

Also, if there are services and protocols you don't use in the NAS, you could try disabling them.  Antivirus is one what you might try disabling (at least as a test).

Message 2 of 12
hezner1
Tutor

StephanB,

The production version of SMBPlus is where I saw the warning when I was reading the "about" notes.  

The reason I wondered about the strict sync is the comment in this post https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/Firmware-6-9-1-Enter-Network-Password/m-p/1496...

I was not thinking to lower the SMB version but had not done anything to upgrad it so wondered if I needed to.  If SMB3 is enabled by default now then that is OK.  

We are running Windows 7 on the client machines.   And, yes, I did mean snapshots. Sorry. 

No MacOS running on our network so I'll not fuss with those settings.  I will check the transport encryption settings.  

I'm not running antivirus or really any other extra services so will not concentrate on that at this time.    

Thank you for your help with this.  Pat

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@hezner1 wrote:

We are running Windows 7 on the client machines.   

Then you should end up running SMB 2.1 (since that is what Win7 uses).  

Message 4 of 12
hezner1
Tutor

Good to know abouthe SMB version.   

Has anyone else seen this issue with the Revit saves slowing down after the OS updated into a 6.9 version?   We will be testing Revit 2019 soon but I'm not hopful that it will be any better.  I would really like to find a way to improve the save times as it is impacting our work flow.  

Thaks for any insights.  Pat

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Do you have a win10 machine you can test it on?  That might also be a way to improve performance.

Message 6 of 12
hezner1
Tutor

No, we don't have any Windows 10 machines to check this on.   Also it was working fine before the nas OS upgrade so I really don't think it is the Windows machine that is the issue.   

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@hezner1 wrote:

Also it was working fine before the nas OS upgrade...  

I understand that, but it is also true that upgrading to Win10 (allowing use of SMB 3) could improve performance.

I wasn't suggesting upgrading everyone, just testing that possibility.

Message 8 of 12
hezner1
Tutor

Unfortunately that is not an option at this point in time.   

Message 9 of 12
hezner1
Tutor

So no one else has experienced slow saves in certain applications after the upgrade to a 6.9 OS?

Message 10 of 12
hezner1
Tutor

As a reference to anyone else with this problem, I updated to OS 6.9.3.  That version includes the ability to control strict sync on a per share basis.  I unchecked strict sync for the affected shares and the save times gone back down to where they were before.  

Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for sharing the solution.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements