× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Snapshots are taking over all the space on my NAS

bokenrosie
Tutor

Snapshots are taking over all the space on my NAS

My snapshots are taking over all the free space on my system.  

I get a message that says "Less than 10% of volume data's capacity is free. Performance on volume data is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity." 

I have a total of 13.62TB of drive space and under shares it shows data to be about 1/3 of the capacity and the rest is snapshots.  How to I setup snapshots to take "a bit less" space so I dont fill up the drive?

TIA

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Snapshots are taking over all the space on my NAS

One answer is to turn them off on shares that see a lot of "churn" - a lot files that are rewritten ora lot of temporary files that are deleted.  It's generally a bad idea to enable snapshots on a share that's used for torrent downloads, or one which holds a live SQL database that is always being updated.

Custom snapshots give you more control over retention, so you can also use those.

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

But what would help more is more control over the "smart" mode instead of having to switch to manual completely.  Something as simple as a choice on at what point the auto trim would start would be most helpful.  It doesn't help now that the trim seems inconsistent with the rest of the firmware, either.  The NAS starts to warn you about a full volume well before the auto snapshot trim starts freeing space.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But what would help more is more control over the "smart" mode instead of having to switch to manual completely.  

I agree that a retention setting (either by time or number of snapshots would be great).

Though the Custom mode isn't really "manual" - the only thing you lose is the snapshot thinning, which isn't really something I want or need anyway.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements