× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: System volume root's usage is 89%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions.

KayZak
Aspirant

System volume root's usage is 89%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions.

Hi All,

I keep receiving an error message "System volume root's usage is 89%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Contact technical support."

After some research, I found

root@nas-34-B2-24:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 10M 4.0K 10M 1% /dev
/dev/md0 4.0G 3.6G 209M 95% /
tmpfs 249M 88K 249M 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 249M 532K 248M 1% /run
tmpfs 125M 0 125M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 249M 0 249M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127 2.8T 356G 2.4T 13% /data
/dev/md127 2.8T 356G 2.4T 13% /home
/dev/md127 2.8T 356G 2.4T 13% /apps
tmpfs 50M 4.0K 50M 1% /var/replicate/shm
/dev/md127 2.8T 356G 2.4T 13% /var/ftp/Music

As someone who hasn't used a ReadyNAS or linux system, I'm not too familiar with the system. From what I've read, there is an issue with the log files taking up too much space. I want to clear out those log files but haven't been able to find clear instructions as to how. Could someone point me to some instructions?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 23
KayZak
Aspirant

Re: System volume root's usage is 89%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions.

I did run the du command on the md0 file.

root@nas-34-B2-24:/dev# du -h md0
0 md0

I don't know why it would return 0.

Message 2 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@KayZak wrote:

I don't know why it would return 0.

It's not really a file, its a device.

You need to look in the OS folders.  /var/log and /var/cache are the places to start.

What apps do you have installed?  Have you made any changes to the system with ssh?

Message 3 of 23
KayZak
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB,

What would I be looking for in the OS folders?

As for apps, we have LogAnalyzer, Plex Media Server, and ReadyNAS Photos II.

I'm not sure if we've made any changes with an SSH connection. We have two NASes. I have attempted to install Crashplan on one of them, but not this one.

Message 4 of 23
KayZak
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB,

What would I be looking for in the OS folders?

As for apps, we have LogAnalyzer, Plex Media Server, and ReadyNAS Photos II.

I'm not sure if we've made any changes with an SSH connection. We have two NASes. I have attempted to install Crashplan on one of them, but not this one.

Message 5 of 23
KayZak
Aspirant

@StephenB When you say look at the OS files, I'm not sure what to look for or what to do when I've found it.

Message 6 of 23
KayZak
Aspirant

In my Apps directory I have this "DO_NOT_DELETE loganalyzerr6 photos2 plexmediaserver"

Message 7 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@KayZak wrote:

In my Apps directory I have this "DO_NOT_DELETE loganalyzerr6 photos2 plexmediaserver"

The problem won't be in Apps, as that folder is actually remounted from the data volume.

Probably the safest option for you is to contact support (ask for "per-incident" support, that is cheaper than a service contract).

But basically you are looking for large files that are taking up the space.  If you want to continue on your own, you can compare the folders on your two ReadyNAS.

Message 8 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent you a PM.

Message 9 of 23
KayZak
Aspirant

Hi @mdgm-ntgr,

When I went to the support page and enableed Secure Diagnostics Mode it simply gave be a port number. Just fyi, the ReadyNAS associated with this account is not the one having these issues.

Message 10 of 23
KayZak
Aspirant

Alrighty, I responded.

Message 11 of 23
Pianissimo84
Aspirant

I am having a similar problem after installing the Resilio Sync 2.4.4 application and uninstalling the old BitTorrent Sync app. I get:

System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions.

Also, my drive mapping has become flaky, to the point that most won't map at all, or take a very long time.

I have SSH enabled, but don't have any idea how to actually use it on WIndows. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Regards,

Rob.........

Message 12 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need to check for what's using a lot of space on the 4GB root volume.

Message 13 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Pianissimo84 wrote:

I have SSH enabled, but don't have any idea how to actually use it on WIndows. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Regards,

Download putty from here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Then launch it and connect to the NAS IP address.  Use root for the username and the nas admin password for the password.

Start by entering

df -h

and post the results here.

What ReadyNAS model do you own, and what firmware is it running?

Message 14 of 23
Pianissimo84
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply @StephenB. Since this was a business critical issue for me, I paid for a tech support call from NetGear to fix it. Turns out that the default settings for the Resilio Sync app creates a folder 'Resilio Sync' in the /root folder  instead of the /data folder (where it should be). Then when I linked to other devices, it tried to replicate all of those remote synced folders there.

The solution was to delete the '/root/Resilio Sync/' folder (I had NetGear do that), then change the default folder in the Resilio Sync app to a folder under the /data folder and manually reconnect my synced folders.

I'm not savvy enough about the SSH commands to go that route, but thanks for the suggestion. Regards,

Rob.....

Message 15 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Pianissimo84 wrote:

...I paid for a tech support call from NetGear to fix it...

Sounds like the right decision.

Message 16 of 23
dershope
Aspirant

I'm experiencing the same Resilio issue now.  I'm able to ssh into the device.  From there I'm not sure where to turn.  I want to delete the Resilio directory and start over.  I've removed the app via the GUI but that does not delete the directory.  Its a new unit so I'm not worried about crashing it.  Thanks in advance.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 17 of 23
StephenB
Guru

I think you can just delete the Resilio folder

Are you seeing a lot of space usage in /var/cache and /var/log?

@dershope wrote:

Its a new unit so I'm not worried about crashing it. 

You could of course do a factory reset, and rebuild everything from scratch.  Overkill, but if you aren't in a hurry it has the advantage of cleaning out everything.

Message 18 of 23
dershope
Aspirant

I did a restore as I couldn't figure out how to delete the bloated directory via SSH.  Now I'm getting messages warning me that less than 20% of media capacity is free.  What is that?  I created a directory on a new share within the 2TB volume.  The sync share is less than 70GB.

Message 19 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That suggests that the 4GB root volume is getting full.

Sounds like you've done some of the same things that you did last time.

Message 20 of 23
dershope
Aspirant

I thought the same thing but if that were the case it would be full as the Sync share is 70GB.  Also when the root dir was full the error was different.  

"System volume root's usage is 98%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Contact technical support."

Message 21 of 23
dershope
Aspirant

I thought I had solved this issue with a factory reset of the NAS.  Now instead of "root" volume filling the system states, "Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity."

Media capacity?

Message 22 of 23
jak0lantash
Mentor

Tthere is an issue with the antivirus temporarily fills up the volume. In this situation, the root volume is called 'media' in the logs. You can find multiple threads about this here. Workaround while waiting for the fix in future firmware:

1. Gracefully reboot the unit.

2. Disable he antivirus.

3. Gracefully reboot the unit.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements