× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Toasted ReadyNAS102 (lightning)

Olof63
Guide

Toasted ReadyNAS102 (lightning)

Not sure where the READYNAS forum has gone, but my trustworthy RN102 partly packed up last night during thunderstorms.  Funnily enough the etnernet port isn't working (the R7000 router was also toast), but the disks spin fine and sound OK.  Now I wonder, this is an EOL product, what would be the easisest way to either buy new NetGear NAS stuff (and move the 2 disks) - or is there any other way recommended ?

I have an exatly similar RN102 in the garage, mirroring the server, that one works just fine...

Did NetGear sell ReadyNAS or what ?

Best regars from Sweden

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Toasted ReadyNAS102 (lightning)

@Olof63 wrote:

Not sure where the READYNAS forum has gone

Did NetGear sell ReadyNAS or what ?

Netgear consolidated the old ReadyNAS forum with their main forum some years ago now.  Netgear hasn't sold off ReadyNAS, it is still an active product line.

@Olof63 wrote:

my trustworthy RN102 partly packed up last night during thunderstorms.  Funnily enough the etnernet port isn't working (the R7000 router was also toast),

Lightning can and does propagate through your network wiring (not just through your power wiring).  So this isn't that surprising.

@Olof63 wrote:

Now I wonder, this is an EOL product, what would be the easisest way to either buy new NetGear NAS stuff (and move the 2 disks) - or is there any other way recommended ?

The RN102 isn't repairable - the network interfaces are on the system board, and that isn't sold as a part.

What you can do is directly migrate your disks to a new OS-6 ReadyNAS.  The RN212 (or RN214) is also an arm platform, so you'd have no issues with your apps if you migrate to it.  You could also look for a used RN102.

You can also directly migrate to x86 ReadyNAS (RN400, RN500, or RN600 series).  The NAS will convert the OS from arm to x86 for you, but you will need to reinstall most of the apps.  If you are switching to x86, I'd first set up the NAS using a spare disk (making sure it is running current firmware), and then power it down/migrate the disks. 

But since you have a full backup NAS still running, I suggest starting clean on the replacement NAS - doing a factory install, rebuilding the NAS, and reloading the data from the backup system.  If your volume is old, then you will see some performance improvement if you do this.  Even if it isn't, it would clean up any other issues that might have happened when the lightning hit - for instance, an out-of-sync array.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements