× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to replace a bad drive, but working drive may be mid-sync

mgoblue62
Aspirant

Trying to replace a bad drive, but working drive may be mid-sync

I had a drive go out on my ReadyNAS - I *think* maybe when a sync was taking place. The bad drive was in the left bay, and was making a clicking sound. Even after removing it though, the NAS wasn't working. Frontview wouldn't load, but I could ssh into the unit and see the remaining drive.

The failed drive was under warranty, but with the new drive installed the fans stay on loudly with a slowling flashing blue light on the front. Without it the fan is quiet and but blue light flashes quickly.

I see the following under /var/log/frontview/enclosure.log:

fan!!1!!status=ok::descr=1666RPM
ups!!1!!status=ok::descr=Remote APC Back-UPS ES 750G Battery charge: 100%, 24 min
volume!!1!!status=resync::descr=Volume C: RAID Level X, Resync 11% complete, Time to finish -99 min, Speed 1 MB/s; 188 GB (20%) of 921 GB used
disk!!1!!status=ok::descr=Channel 1: WDC WD10EFRX-68FYTN0 931 GB, 36C/96F
disk!!2!!status=resync::descr=Channel 2: WDC WD10EARX-00PASB0 931 GB, 0C/32F[Resync 11% complete, Time to finish -99 min]
model!!0!!mode=home::descr=ReadyNAS Duo::arch=nsp
Boot!!FS_CHECK!! 39%

The drive seems to be physically fine. Is there any way that I can save the data? I thought that replacing a bad drive was supposed to be plug/play, but that seems not to be the case 😞

Model: ReadyNAS RND2150|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Trying to replace a bad drive, but working drive may be mid-sync

@mgoblue62 wrote:

Any suggestions where to find a replacement?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPW7MW2487 claims to be compatible, if you google you will find others.

@mgoblue62 wrote:

I was half hoping it was the ReadyNAS, which would have given me an excuse to upgrade.

Microsoft obsoleting SMB 1.0 might be enough of an excuse Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you see the shares and files from ssh (in the "C" folder)?

Message 2 of 12
mgoblue62
Aspirant

Yes, the files are all there - /c/home, /c/media, /c/backup

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  Then one option (though slow) is to connect a USB drive to your NAS and back up the files to the USB drive.

Did you try accessing the NAS over the network with windows file explorer?  If that works, it will be faster to back up the data that way.

Note that your two drives are mirrored, so the one you didn't remove should still have all the same data on it. 

Message 4 of 12
mgoblue62
Aspirant

Since I can ssh in to the drive, I suppose I could use WinSCP to copy the files off. Then I would basically start fresh with my replacement drive + existing drive?

I wish there were a simple way to tell the readynas, "no, the drive isn't in the process of syncing - it's just fine the way it is"

Once I get the files copied off, will I have to do a factory reset in order to get started with the new disk? I assume I'll have to delete the existing partition from the old disk.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Message 5 of 12
mgoblue62
Aspirant

Hmmmm. Maybe I was a little too impatient. I just took a break for supper, and when I returned I found that Frontview was finally up! The logs showed "Volume scan found and corrected errors", and this time when I inserted the new disk it said "Disk add event occurred on SATA channel 1". It's doing a resync now, so hopefully all will be well again shortly.

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@mgoblue62 wrote:

The logs showed "Volume scan found and corrected errors", and this time when I inserted the new disk it said "Disk add event occurred on SATA channel 1". It's doing a resync now, so hopefully all will be well again shortly.

Great.  I do suggest checking for completeness, as the fsck repair might have resulted in some file deletions.

Message 7 of 12
mgoblue62
Aspirant

Ok - now we have a new problem. It turns out that the only reason the new disk started to work was that I had plugged it into a different ReadyNAS Duo V2 device. If I plug the disks back into the old device, the fan is loud and the blue light flashes quickly (twice/second or so).

Is there any way that I can troubleshoot the hardware of this NAS itself? Both sets of disks seem to be working in the other NAS.

Thanks,

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@mgoblue62 wrote:

Is there any way that I can troubleshoot the hardware of this NAS itself? Both sets of disks seem to be working in the other NAS.

You've already ruled out the disks.

Next try swapping the power bricks.

Also, see if your flashing leds match one of these patterns: 

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration
This list is for the duo v1, but I think it's the same on the v2.

You can also download RAIDar ( https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads ) and see what status it gives you.

Overall, you can't repair the Duo v2.  Even the memory is soldered on, so if that has failed you can't replace it. 
The only things you can do are
  • replace the power brick
  • try a USB recovery

The precise procedure for USB recovery on a v2 isn't documented - perhaps @mdgm-ntgr will chime in, and give advice if that is warranted.

Message 9 of 12
mgoblue62
Aspirant

Well, I'll be. By process of elimination, the root cause of the problem (other than the drive that died) is...the power brick! I was half hoping it was the ReadyNAS, which would have given me an excuse to upgrade.

Thanks,

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@mgoblue62 wrote:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPW7MW2487 claims to be compatible, if you google you will find others.

@mgoblue62 wrote:

I was half hoping it was the ReadyNAS, which would have given me an excuse to upgrade.

Microsoft obsoleting SMB 1.0 might be enough of an excuse Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 12
mgoblue62
Aspirant

True enough - no more smb 1.0 causes several issues.

Thanks so much for all your assistance! 🙂

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements