× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading hardware - how to move data from older Netgear NAS 1100 to new ReadyNAS 626

DBMNSU
Aspirant

Upgrading hardware - how to move data from older Netgear NAS 1100 to new ReadyNAS 626

Hi all,

I have been put in charge of administering an older NAS. Due to its age and size, a decision was made to purchase a new NAS and we bought a ReadyNAS 626 unit and 4x6tb Seagate drives. I am looking at the best (and easiest) was to move the data from the old NAS to the new NAS. Currently, 4163 GB is being used on the old NAS, 89% full.

I have been backing up the data from the old NAS to a Windows server using some 3rd party software we have, Retrospect, but that does not preserve any UID/GID information related to the files. I would like the UID/GID information to remain consistent from the old to the new.

I am fairly familiar with Unix/Linux so I could use the command line with ssh.

I apologize if there was article an someplace addressing this but I didn't see it.

ALSO - with the 4x6tb drives I am leaning towards RAID 1+0 - any comments on that would be welcome too. I have read some other post where this was discussed but my mind is not made up.

Thanks ...

Message 1 of 14
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Upgrading hardware - how to move data from older Netgear NAS 1100 to new ReadyNAS 626

Hi,

The easiest way would be to do an rsync backup from one unit to the other. You can do that from the GUI even. And this will retain file permissions.

Regarding the RAID setup. Do you need performance since you consider RAID 10? It would not be needed unless you are planning on having high I/O demand on the RAID. A RAID 5 will do fine in the vast majority of 6-disk setups. What is the usage?

Another thing is that RAID 10 will get better the more disks you have. At 6 disks the performance gain over RAID 5 won't be that great + with the RAID 10 you loose 50% of the capacity.

Cheers

Message 2 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I agree rsync is a good way to move the data.

On the RAID mode: how many users do you have?

Message 3 of 14
DBMNSU
Aspirant

HI -

Thanks for the rapid response. It is good news that the file permissions are retained. I will attempt rsync from the GUI - I think that is all I have on the old NAS. I have small test drives in my NAS and a small share I can test with.

For RAID level - I realize there is a space and convenience penalty and if RAID 1+0 is used instead of NetGEAR's RAID 5. I hope I am not too paranoid but there are warnings about the viability of your system surviving a disk failure and rebuild with RAID 5. 

Thanks again and have a good day...

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@DBMNSU wrote:

For RAID level - I realize there is a space and convenience penalty and if RAID 1+0 is used instead of NetGEAR's RAID 5.

It's not Netgear's RAID-5.  It's just normal linux RAID-5. The new NAS is using sofware raid (mdadm), with btrfs as the file system.

The old 1100 is a bit different - it has a sparc process with some RAID hardware added.  It's RAID-4, with all the parity blocks on a single drive.

@DBMNSU wrote:

but there are warnings about the viability of your system surviving a disk failure and rebuild with RAID 5. 

Again, not my system - I don't work for Netgear.  I don't see the risk as being much different with RAID 1+0.   If I were especially worred about recovery, I'd use two RAID-1 volumes, and manually balance storage across them. 

I do recommend that you use a UPS.

Message 5 of 14
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi again,

RAID 10 is not focused on redundancy. This is unfortunately a very common misconception. A RAID 10 of 6 disks will at best offer you 3 disks redundancy and at worst 1 disk reduncancy. A RAID 10 with 20 disks will at best offer you 10 disks redundancy and at worst 1 disk reduncancy. It depends on which disks fail. If two disks in the same mirror fails, the all data is lost.

RAID 10 = Performance

RAID 6 = Redundancy

RAID 5 = Middle ground

So, I suggest you read up on RAIDs before you use them. It is important to use the RAID level that is best suited for your situation without misconceptions that might lead to unexpected data loss!

And as StephenB said, the RAIDs that NTGR use are industry standard RAID levels. They use the same as everyone else 🙂

Cheers

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Hopchen wrote:

Hi again,

RAID 10 is not focused on redundancy.

That's true, but worst-case it matches RAID-5, and on average it's somewhat better.

I still would say that if you want the simplest recovery, multiple volumes of RAID-1 are the best (and that has the same redundancy as RAID-10). 

If you have a lot of disks, RAID-50 is also worth considering.

Message 7 of 14
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi StephenB,

That is true indeed. However, you don't want to leave things to chance in storage. It could also be catastrophic if someone expected a RAID 10 on 6 disks to always have 3 disks redundancy. That could easily lead to data loss.

It is important to use the correct RAID setup and understand what a given RAID does - before using it 🙂

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Hopchen wrote:

It is important to use the correct RAID setup and understand what a given RAID does - before using it 🙂

I agree.

Message 9 of 14
TeknoJnky
Hero

I suggest raid 6 (dual redundancy).

Also, no raid is a backup no matter which mode you choose.

Backup = separate copies of your date in multiple devices and/or places.

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@TeknoJnky wrote:

I suggest raid 6 (dual redundancy).

The newly supported RAID-50 mode has the same overhead as RAID-6, at least dual redundancy, and should be faster than RAID-6.  Actually this reference says it's faster than RAID-5 for random I/O.  Resync after single-disk replacement only requires copying from the RAID-1 pair - which should be faster than RAID-5 resync array. If that fails, you can still reconstruct both disks in the pair using normal RAID-5 resync.  It does require at least 6 disks.  

I'm focussing a bit on it, just because I think most forum members haven't run into it before.  

@TeknoJnky wrote:

Also, no raid is a backup no matter which mode you choose.

Backup = separate copies of your data in multiple devices and/or places.

As you know, I agree Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
DBMNSU
Aspirant

Hi - thanks for the discussion.

First sorry for the wrong pronoun "... your system ..." should have been "... one's system ...". I was not meaning to imply ownership. I am new to the community.

Second, I appreciate the warning to sure one understands the different RAID levels. I have seen RAID 1+0 described as two RAID 0 stripes mirrored as one drive. Please correct me if that is wrong. I am trying to get the setup that will provide the least chance of a major problem plus provide good performance.

Third, I have 3rd party backup software available on a windows server that I am using to backup the old system. It can do either a mirror, some variations on a mirror, or an incremental backup. UID/GUI information gets lost however. They have a linux client that can be installed on a Debian OS but again UID/GID disappears. I also have linux boxes that I could setup to do rsync, which, from another post, should retain UID/GID permission info. Again please correct me if I misunderstood something.

Answering a prior question, the users are a small department on campus that deals with geopgraphical data using ESRI ArcGIS software. This system was to upgrade the old system. There are probably 2-3 heavy users and 2-3 more light users at the current time. They are starting to use a drone to collect data and that will go on the NAS.

Thanks again for all your time - have a good day...

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@DBMNSU wrote:

First sorry for the wrong pronoun "... your system ..." should have been "... one's system ...". I was not meaning to imply ownership.

No need to apologize, I just was concerned you might be thinking I worked for Netgear.

@DBMNSU wrote:

I have seen RAID 1+0 described as two RAID 0 stripes mirrored as one drive. Please correct me if that is wrong.

I'd describe it as one RAID0 stripe across mirrored pairs, which is the transpose of your description.  But I think it's equivalent.

If you have 6 disks running RAID-10, then the disks are paired into 3 RAID-1 mirrors.  RAID-0 is then applied across those three mirrored pairs.  As long as one disk in each pair is functional, the data is available.  If both disks in any pair fail, all data is lost.

@DBMNSU wrote:

Third, I have 3rd party backup software available on a windows server that I am using to backup the old system. It can do either a mirror, some variations on a mirror, or an incremental backup. UID/GUI information gets lost however. They have a linux client that can be installed on a Debian OS but again UID/GID disappears. I also have linux boxes that I could setup to do rsync, which, from another post, should retain UID/GID permission info. Again please correct me if I misunderstood something.

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly.  The windows server application won't have any visibility into the 1100 or the RN626's raid structures unless you move the disks out of the NAS to the windows server.

The easiest way to migrate the data is to use the built-in backup capability in the RN626 - enabling rsync on the 1100.  Match the UIDs and GIDs on the RN626 with the ones on the 1100. 

One problem there is with guest (same as nobody/nogroup on the 1100).  Guest UID/GID on the RN626 doesn't match, and I know of no simple way around that.  You could enable ssh, and create a script to fix that up I guess. 

@DBMNSU wrote:

Answering a prior question, the users are a small department on campus that deals with geopgraphical data using ESRI ArcGIS software. This system was to upgrade the old system. There are probably 2-3 heavy users and 2-3 more light users at the current time. They are starting to use a drone to collect data and that will go on the NAS.

Any of the RAID modes should give you enough performance then.

If you are putting live databases on the NAS, you should make sure that you understand how snapshots work before you enable them.  Generally guidance is to turn snapshots off on shares that hold files that are frequently updated, in order to prevent fragmentation.  

Normal documents are completely re-written when they are modified, so the issue with fragmentation doesn't apply to them.

Message 13 of 14
TeknoJnky
Hero

btw compared to 1100, the 626 will be waaaaaaay faster than the 1100, regardless of which raid mode you end up choosing.

another possible raid mode would be using flex raid to setup 3 independent raid-0 2 disk sets.

disk 1 & 2 = data1

disk 3 & 4 = data2

disk 5 & 6 = data3

while raid 0 provides no redundancy, if a disk fails you lose all data on that volume,

but you could then setup data1 = main volume, data2 = daily backup of data1, data3 = weekly (or every other day backup) of data1.

or if you do not expect to exceed the 6tb drive space, you could use raid-1, which would make each of the 3 volumes redundant.

raid-1 you can also expand by replacing each disk in a volume with larger disks (1 at a time after waiting for rebuilds of course).

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements