× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

adding hard drie

Retired_Member
Not applicable

adding hard drie

ReadyNAS 4312x (not in the "Model Recommended" above)

I have Six 10TB Hard drives, X-RAID setup

I am trying to add a 10TB (HGST model HUH721010ALE600) hard drive, the log shows it adds the drive...then about 5 minutes later it removes the drive.

Did I just get a bad hard drive? (as I have never expanded this and it should be "easy")

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: adding hard drie

I finally got the replacement HGST drive, and the syncing started and no issues.  THe sync will take awhile, but i received a bad hard drive.

*I will not purchase another HGST drive.  I purchased the drive on Amazon, but sold by overstockus.  HGST will not cover the Warranty and says I must go through overstockus.  I cannot call anyone at overstockus, as I can only fill out the RMA and mail off the hard drive.  In about 1 week I get an email that the replacment drive has been shipped....but takes another week to arrive.   Can anyone see the issue?  Even worse in my case, the first hard drive I received was bad,  good thing I was in Raid 6 and no other hard drive crashed.   

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?  

Is XRAID in single redundancy (volume size about 45 TiB) or dual (volume size about 36 TiB)?

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: adding hard drive

Firmware 6.8.0

36.36TB total space.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You could download the log zip file, and see if you find any useful errors.

For instance, see if smart_history.log has an entry with the right serial number.  Also, you might look in rn_expand.log.

If you can test the disk in a Windows PC with the vendor diag, that might also help isolate this.  I believe Western Digital's Lifeguard software supports their HGST line.

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The hard drive has shown up, and the alert that came up showed the correct SN, but in a few minutes the hard drive is removed by the NAS.  

I will make a trip back to the colo and remove the drive and test it.  If the drive is bad, I will return for a new one. (which unfortuanly for me, these HGST drivers were purchased on Amazon (seller was overstock), so I have to mail it to overstock (about 5 days), then wait for a replacment (5 days).....I will update this post after I get and test the drive.

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I finally got the replacement HGST drive, and the syncing started and no issues.  THe sync will take awhile, but i received a bad hard drive.

*I will not purchase another HGST drive.  I purchased the drive on Amazon, but sold by overstockus.  HGST will not cover the Warranty and says I must go through overstockus.  I cannot call anyone at overstockus, as I can only fill out the RMA and mail off the hard drive.  In about 1 week I get an email that the replacment drive has been shipped....but takes another week to arrive.   Can anyone see the issue?  Even worse in my case, the first hard drive I received was bad,  good thing I was in Raid 6 and no other hard drive crashed.   

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements