× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iSCSI not reconnecting - OS 6.6.1

gpearson9
Aspirant

iSCSI not reconnecting - OS 6.6.1

I'm having a similar issue to both of these users who seemed to never get a resolution:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/iSCSi-won-t-reconnect/td-p/971430

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/iSCSI-not-reconnecting/td-p/1112230

I have two ESXi 6.5 hosts that are connecting to a LUN on my ReadyNAS, and if they lose connection for any reason (switch reset, etc.), they will fail to reconnect to the LUNs. If I go into the iSCSI settings on the ReadyNAS, and set the allow initiators on my LUN group to 'any' and then back to 'selected', they will be able to reconnect again and work perfectly until they next interruption.

I want to secure the LUNs obviously, but if I can't rely on them reconnecting due to this issue I might have to leave the initiators set to Any. Has anyone else ran into this issue or know of a way to solve it?

A side question: is there any way to disable iSCSI on specific network interfaces? If I could disable it on my management network that would be a good work-around to keeping the LUNs secure.

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 18
jak0lantash
Mentor

Interested to read about this.

Message 2 of 18
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gpearson9,

Can you kindly send your logs. I will try to have it checked.

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?

Regards,

Message 3 of 18
gpearson9
Aspirant

Just sent the logs, thanks!

Message 4 of 18
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

This has been fixed in 6.7.0, which is available as a public beta release.

On 6.6.1, network reconnections are not noticed if you are using static IPs.  So if you prefer a temporary workaround instead of updating to 6.7.0 beta, you can switch your ReadyNAS to use DHCP instead of static IPs.

Message 5 of 18
gpearson9
Aspirant

Good to hear, I will wait for the final release I think. Any estimate on when it might be available?

Just to be clear for your work-around, DHCP needs to be set on the network interfaces of the Netgear NAS, not the initiating clients?

Message 6 of 18
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

There's no exact date yet, but I expect 6.7.0 to be available within the next month.

The ReadyNAS must be using DHCP to work around this.  The initiators' network configuration doesn't matter in this case.

Message 7 of 18
NM43
Aspirant

I have the same issue on my ReayNas 4312 and is on DHCP but keep on dropping the connection whenever the shedule backup try to write to it.

Firmware is 6.6.1 and this has just started when I updated to the new firmware. any way to downgrade? or a work around.

Man Sad

Spoiler

Message 8 of 18
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 9 of 18
NM43
Aspirant

Thanks, any link where the Beta can be downloaded?

Message 10 of 18
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 11 of 18
NM43
Aspirant

Thanks I will give this a go and post back rely appreciated

Message 12 of 18
gpearson9
Aspirant

Well I found out the hard way tonight that this issue was absolutely not fixed in 6.7.0 (or 6.7.4 for that matter).

We had to restart our core switch over a configuration change, and as soon as we did all of our iSCSI devices started failing to log into the LUNs on the NAS... The same 'fix' as before worked, I went into the group for the LUNs and switched the Initiators option from 'Selected' to 'All', then back to 'Selected' and bam, all of the iSCSI devices re-connected immediately.

These devices simply cannot be used for iSCSI in this state... is there an actual fix planned soon??

Message 13 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in a fresh set of logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 14 of 18
gpearson9
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I just sent an email with logs from the unit.

Message 15 of 18
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

The fix that went into 6.7.0 wasn't a complete fix.  It only resolved the case where there was only a single static IP address.  If you had multiple interfaces with different static IPs, only the first IP address would get reactivated for iSCSI.  A complete fix will come in 6.7.5 Beta 2.

Message 16 of 18
gpearson9
Aspirant

That would make sense then, I am using static IPs on two of the interfaces on different subnets for MPIO. Thanks for the heads up! I wish I could use the DHCP work-around but our VLANs are completed isolated between the NAS and hosts so there is no way to assign an address unfortunately.

Message 17 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ReadyNASOS 6.7.5-RC1 is now available!

You can try this if you like or wait for the production release.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements