× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iSCSi not connecting after failed Firmware update

Meiersos
Aspirant

iSCSi not connecting after failed Firmware update

I have a ReadyNAS NVX Business Edition RNDX4000 (X-RAID2)

Firmware RAIDiator 4.2.15

Last week I saw there is a Firmware 4.2.20 Update for this NAS.

I saved the current Configuration in the System menu and then started the Update in the System menu.

I selected that it should be installed.

After some time the NAS told me that it will be restarted.

When I logged back in the NAS told me that there was a Error while uploading the update Image.

So I thought maybe some problem downloading the image but I soon found out there is a Problem after this failed Update.

The Storage is attached to the Server as a iSCSI Target, and after this failed Update it is not anymore accessible by the Server via iSCSI.

I can log into the NAS, but it is not available as a iSCSI Target.

how can I make it accessible again?

I have a Backup of most of the Data on this NAS but the ones changed during this Day are missing and also some other data is stored on it which are not backed up.

What is the savest way to proceed wo make the iSCSI Target accessible again?

PS: I saved the Configuration of the NAS before starting the Update, does this help?

I also have downloaded the Logfiles after this failed Update and made a Support case #25650831 but did not receive a answer from Support up to now.

What is the way to proceed?

Is there a way to access the iSCSI Storage in another way to save the Data? Should I download the Firmware Image and try to update it local?

Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: iSCSi not connecting after failed Firmware update

Can you double check that case number?

I can see no case on our system with that case number.

Usually firmware updates work smoothly, however if there is an existing problem on a system a firmware update may lead to more obvious symptoms becoming apparent. It is advisable to update your backup before doing a firmware update just in case.

Message 2 of 8
Meiersos
Aspirant

Yes, I have the Mail in front of me, sent from no-reply@netgear.com on the 25th of August at 12:15 (MEZ)

Text is: New online case (#25650831) has been created.

If you have a mail address I can forward you the E-Mail. I double checked that the number is right.

Maybe something went wrong on your side when the Account was created and the support case registered as the time between the two mails for creating the account and the entering of the support case is less than a minute.

But anyway if you do not find it, could you please open a new one so we can proceed and solve the problem at hand?

Thank you very much in advance

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's odd.

Please forward the email to me with the logs attached (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) and a link to this thread.

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like that case was archived. You will need to open a new case attaching your logs.

Please note that as your support warranty has expired there would definitely be some costs involved with this.

Message 5 of 8
Meiersos
Aspirant

So you tell me I have to start over and do everything I did once again?

Open a support case, send the logfiles etc.?

Why cant you reopen or copy the already made support case?

I did open this thread as you did not answer the Support case Netgear made and archived, on the same day?

I tried to open a support case at least 3 times and the only one who was opened was archived my Netgear.

And now you tell me I should start over again after more than 10 days without a real answer? Up to now I only got questions and questions about things Netgear made errors. Like asking if I read the wrong case number and sending the log files. Now you say I should open a new support case, wait for you to send a mail, something that did not work the last time.

Do you understand that this is a little bit frustrating to be told after a failed firmware Update from Netgear made my NAS unusable?

Message 6 of 8
Meiersos
Aspirant

I went trough the procedure to make a new support case but as there where only 150 characters available not a lot of info went into it. Could you maybe update that support case with the Information of this thread and the sent Logfiles?

The new number is 25700131.

Now what shall I do? You got the Logfiles, did you find something out?

Is there a way to access the storage via the Linux software that runs the NAS to at least save the data? - SSH into it?

Should I download the Firmware update and try the Update manually?

Should I restore the saved Configuration from before I made the Firmware update?

Data security of the stored data is allways highest priority so please no maybe it works maybe you loose all your data solutions.

PS: if there are costs involved, depending on how big the price tag is, it would be OK.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Again it is showing Contact Us. By default these cases are deleted if the contact you are told to make is not made.

I will add some notes to the case and ask support to reach out to you.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements