× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"home" directories are all messed up... how to just wipe them and start over?

garyd9
Virtuoso

"home" directories are all messed up... how to just wipe them and start over?

This isn't really a "business" use, but being that I'm using Active Directory (and AD seems to be central to the problems I'm having), I thought this was the best place to post...

NAS is a 616 unit running firmware 6.2.4

In the past couple of weeks, I've made some changed to my AD structure.  First I moved the DC IP address.  I got my 516 to see that eventually.  Then I decided that I was having other problems (unrelated to the NAS) and just dropped that entire domain and rebuilt a new domain.  Then I decided to change the IP of the domain server.

My poor readynas is having a cow.  I do have it talking to the ADS, but the home shares are a complete mess.  Assuming my new domain name is "newdomain", here's what I'm seeing when I browse shares from the readynas admin console:

home/admin

home/NEWDOMAIN/user1

home/NEWDOMAIN/user2

home/newdomain/user1

home/newdomain/user2

Two days ago, the directory being used for home shares was home/NEWDOMAIN.  So, using the "copy" function in the readynas interface, I copied everything from home/newdomain/user* to home/NEWDOMAIN/user*.  Today, it's "home/newdomain".  (the difference being the domain name capitalization.)

The permissions are trashed in both, and while I can easily fix perms, I never know WHICH directory (all lowercase domain name or all uppercase domain name) it will be using tomorrow.  They are very different locations, so if I put a file in "home/newdomain/user1" today, if it decides to switch to "home/NEWDOMAIN/user1" tomorrow, that file will be gone.

At this point, what I'd like to do is just nuke the entire "home" tree and have it start over.  The problem with that is that there doesn't seem to be any way to delete any "home" shares (or the entire home share tree.)

Yes, I know I can do a factory reset on the NAS.  However, I really don't want to.  I have TB's of data on here and while it's all backed up in one form or another, it would take days to get everything back the way it should be.  (...as well, if I have to zap the NAS hard drives to fix problems, it REALLY depreciates the value of the NAS to begin with as a storage device.)

So, can someone please tell me how I can nuke (just) the home shares?   (I'm willing to drop into ssh if required.)

Thanks

Gary

PS:  I really hate the new board software.  Not that netgear really cares about my opinion, but I just felt I needed to say something.

Message 1 of 7
garyd9
Virtuoso

Re: "home" directories are all messed up... how to just wipe them and start over?

I got impatient.  Between ssh, rm, rmdir, and "btrfs subvolume delete", I was able to completely nuke all the home directories.  All of them.  Now I just need to copy everything back...

Message 2 of 7
garyd9
Virtuoso

Re: "home" directories are all messed up... how to just wipe them and start over?

mdgm, I don't think I'd call this "solved."  It was more a "work-around", or perhaps a case of taking a 40 pound sledge hammer to remove the child-proof top of a medicine bottle.  What I'd really like to see is a legit answer to this (that doesn't involve ssh.)

Message 3 of 7
garyd9
Virtuoso

BTW, why is my registration date reset to 2015?  I've been on these forums since.... umm...  a long time. 😉

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We would be reluctant to put in automatic removal of home shares when leaving/joining domains as users may lose data doing that. It is generally expected that if you configure the NAS to use a domain you will stick with using it with that same domain.

As for the registration date being different to what you would expect did you register recently e.g. on forum1 using the same email address?

Message 5 of 7
garyd9
Virtuoso

No quoting in replies in this new forum s/w?  😞

>> As for the registration date being different to what you would expect did you register recently e.g. on forum1 using the same email address?

I honestly don't remember.  I think I'm using the same email address.. (yes, I am... I see an old email from the previous forum going to that address) and certainly the same username.

It's not a big deal, really.  It's just, well, annoying.

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@garyd9 wrote:

No quoting in replies in this new forum s/w?  😞

At the far right above where you type your reply you should see a Quote button.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements