× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: random files missing

DustyBottoms
Aspirant

random files missing

I help a friend out with some of their IT needs from time to time.  I setup a ReadyNas 102 with 2 1TB disks in a raid 1 config for them about a hear and a half ago.  Just recently in the last few months they've been calling me to recover files from backup that have come up missing.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Is it possible the daily snapshots that run are removing these files?  I'm looking into the obvious question of it being a user error but I don't think that's the problem. 

I have the share setup so 2 people can access it with their own netgear accounts I setup for them.  The share is mapped to their tree on login using the netgear credentials for the share.  Is this treated no different than having a file server with a shared drive or is there a sync process envolved?  Is it possible the issue lies in this setup?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4
DustyBottoms
Aspirant

It looks like this is happening with files they're currently accessing.  Now I'm leaning towards an issue with their accounts logging in to the network drive.

Message 2 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DustyBottoms,

It must be something that they do on the files, it could be a backup software that syncs with the NAS that what it has will mirror on the NAS that if they delete from the source storage/software, it also deletes on the NAS. I don't know exactly. You might need to closely monitor what thier activities with it. Snapshots won't do this unless you rollback to the previous dates where there they did not have the files yet.

Regards, 

Message 3 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Aspirant,

You might want to try the official release FW 6.7.3.

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements