× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

re-using hard drives from one ReadyNAS to another

matt1
Aspirant

re-using hard drives from one ReadyNAS to another

Hello! I have two separate ReadyNAS 314 storage devices. I just upgraded the hard drives in one of them. I now have the previous hard drives free. For my other NAS device, I have hard drives of a lower capacity. Will it work for me to install the free hard drives in this storage device to give it more storage space? I haven't formatted the free hard drives, I simply swapped them out for larger drives in the device that held them. These hard drives would give greater storage space to my other device though if I re-used them. Am I able to install them 1 at a time allowing resync time as they are? Again , they are not formatted, so they have whatever is on them from the original NAS device. Will this work, or do they need to be formatted first? Firmware is current for both

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: re-using hard drives from one ReadyNAS to another

@matt1 wrote:

Sorry, can you be more specific where the format option is on the Volumes page? I don't see it anywhere. I hover over a volume and get a pop-up with that volume's details but no option to format anywhere. My firmware is 6.9.3

You select the DISK using the center graphic.  The format control is on the right of the main screen (below X-RAID and New Volume).  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you are using XRAID you can upgrade one drive at a time.  After you hot-insert the drive, you'd go to the volume page in the web ui.  Select the newly added drive, and then click on "format".  After the drive is formatted it will be added to the array.

Alternatively, you can power down, install all the drives, and then use the boot menu to do a factory default.  You'd set up the NAS from scratch, and then restore your files from a backup (since the factory default is destructive).

Message 2 of 6
matt1
Aspirant

Understood, so the drive will auto resync after the format is complete? Essentially, swap the drive, execute the format, and after a time it will be loaded and integrated properly?

Message 3 of 6
matt1
Aspirant

Sorry, can you be more specific where the format option is on the Volumes page? I don't see it anywhere. I hover over a volume and get a pop-up with that volume's details but no option to format anywhere. My firmware is 6.9.3

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@matt1 wrote:

You select the DISK using the center graphic.  The format control is on the right of the main screen (below X-RAID and New Volume).  

Message 5 of 6
matt1
Aspirant

Excellent, thanks!!!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements