× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas 31400 hdd access when idle

Spudhead1982
Aspirant

readynas 31400 hdd access when idle

good morning everyone

i have noticed over the last several weeks my rn31400 is making access noises when not in use/idle

every minute or so it makes a sound like its accessing the hard disks when nothings going on

i have no file indexing enabled , no virus checker , snapshots are set to weekly , no apps activated ( apart from a app that i cannot  remove , but its turned to 'off ' )  , logs are not saying anything when i check after the access noises

could it be the app that cant be removed causing issues or something else?

if anyone can throw me some suggestions id be greatful!

thanks!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: readynas 31400 hdd access when idle

Are you seeing activity on the performance graphs?

Message 2 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

What app can you not remove?

Message 3 of 15
Spudhead1982
Aspirant

im not quite sure how to read the graphs but volume throughput/operations per second are in the minus , i can see a bit of network usage but no idea why as nothing should be accessing it

the app i cannot remove is the utorrent app , i try and uninstall it says uninstall failed

doesnt show on the main page that its running but on the apps page its still there with a broken image logo

Message 4 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

Just a long shot but have you tried re-installing Utorrent, then maybe a reboot, then uninstall Utorrent?

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Spudhead1982 wrote:

im not quite sure how to read the graphs but volume throughput/operations per second are in the minus ,

If you look at the colors in the legend under the graph, you'll see that the NAS is graphing writes as negative, and reads as positive.  That just makes it easier to see then both.

So it looks like something is writing to the NAS hard drive.

Try disconnecting the NAS network cable, and see if the activity stops.

Message 6 of 15
Spudhead1982
Aspirant

so i have checked the graphs and it appears something is definatley writing to the hdd every one minute or so as shown below 

tried to remove utorrent , wont allow me , its not listed in avalible apps so i cannot re-install and it wont allow me to launch it 

i will have to remove the networkncable and see if it continues to write 

graph.JPG

Message 7 of 15
Spudhead1982
Aspirant

okay it would appear that i have brought the writes down quite substantially , it would appear that the dropbox cloud sync was causing a write to the drive every minute for some reason , once i disabled that option , wirtes now have a big gap on the grid 

im not near the drive to see if its less noisey but id assume it would be now 🙂

i still cannot remove the utorrent app but i dont think its causing any issues 

thanks for everyones input

Message 8 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

You could try a manual install of Utorrent, see this page

Message 9 of 15
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having what might be something similar on my RN424. I have no apps installed and cloud sync is off but I see on the graph and hear minor writes and a larger write.
Anything else to check? Since at idle I thought maybe it was the drive doing some kind of self maintenance or whatever it is called. Very annoying😀
BJB
Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:
but I see on the graph and hear minor writes and a larger write.

How often?  The timing might be relevant - snapshots for instance can wake up the disks. 

The OS runs off the disks, and there is some background activity in the OS too - checking for patches pushed from Netgear, normal firmware updates, NTP (time) syncs, etc.  Those are logged, and that of course can also wake up the disks from time to time.

Message 11 of 15
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is constant. Minor noises and then a big write every minute or so.
Ethernet in or out no difference.
Unless it is the drive perhaps that's just the way it is. If so can't live with that in quiet room office environment.

Thanks,

BJB
Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Anything change if you enable disk spindown?

Message 13 of 15
Spudhead1982
Aspirant

Hey all , I posted a solution a few posts above to my issue , not sure if there is a way to mark as done

In my case it was the Dropbox cloud sync option under the “cloud “ menu , it must of been pinging Dropbox every minute , as soon as I turned that off , my nas went quiet and disk activities went way down
Message 14 of 15
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is awesome you found your issue. Mine must be something else as all cloud-relayed items are off and cloud not even setup.
BJB
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements