× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

20/40 coexistance

milandc
Aspirant

20/40 coexistance

Can somebody please explain me what exactly is happening when "20/40 ceoxistence" is sheched, and when it is not? If it is unchecked, is that means that only 20mhz works, or only 40mhz?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: 20/40 coexistance

Just leave the option checked.  The router will conform to Wi-Fi standards.  Besides, iPhones will always insist on using 20 MHz, so the router will comply.  You can use Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android or Acrylic Wi-Fi for PC.  I'm sure there are other programs.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

This setting governs the router's use of 20 MHz and 40 Mhz wide Wi-Fi channels in the 2.4 GHz band.  Wi-Fi standards mandate that routers must use 20 MHz channels whenever neighboring Wi-Fi networks are detected or when clients request it.  When this setting is enabled, the router will comply with this requirement.

If this setting is disabled, then router may not necessarily drop down to 20 MHz.

It's very unneighborly to use 40 MHz channels because it consumes 2/3rd of the available spectrum, so you should leave this setting enabled.

Message 2 of 5
milandc
Aspirant

I WANT to use only 20 mhz, but I thought if I uncheck this coexistence, then it will use only 20 mhz. So basicaly if this is checked, router will use 20 mhz mostly, and 40 mhz when air is clear, and if it is unchecked, then it will use only 40 mhz? So there is no way to tell the router to use ONLY 20 mhz, no matter what?

And is there any way I could check what frequency is on at the moment? I have iPhone, android and desktop pc.

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Just leave the option checked.  The router will conform to Wi-Fi standards.  Besides, iPhones will always insist on using 20 MHz, so the router will comply.  You can use Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android or Acrylic Wi-Fi for PC.  I'm sure there are other programs.

Message 4 of 5
milandc
Aspirant

Ok, thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements