× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

3400v3 needs internet to allow set up

Jsnipes
Aspirant

3400v3 needs internet to allow set up

Ok, so I bought one of these today and tried to set it up for internet access but the place where it is going to be finally used is not where I am at. So I did not want it to default to my internet settings as they will be different when it gets there. As long as there was no internet access I could not get into the settings. Support told me that I needed to connect it directly to my modem in order for me to change the settings. But, alas, my ISP has provided me with a modem/router combination that cannot be separated. Has anyone found a way around this? It seems strange to sell a router that cannot be used as a router when there is no internet access. Who would have ever suspected that they would do this.

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Jsnipes
Aspirant

Re: 3400v3 needs internet to allow set up

"The job is not done until the paperwork is done!"

I was able to get into the set up by turning off the wireless on my computer and turning off the wireless on the router (there is a switch on the router to do this), then setting the ip address on the computer to 192.168.1.102 static (I did that to stay out of the dynamic range the router was using, it had been setting the computer's address to 192.168.1.2 and still not letting me into setup), Then both the computer and the router were restarted.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @Jsnipes

The router admin page is accessible with or without Internet access.

If you're connecting it through hardwired connection, make sure that you connect the computer to one of the 4 LAN ports at the back of the router. 

Once you have done that, the router should provide you an IP address of 192.168.1.x. You may see the link below for the steps on how access the admin page. 

How do I log in to my NETGEAR home router?

If you cannot login to your router

Message 2 of 6
Jsnipes
Aspirant

"The job is not done until the paperwork is done!"

I was able to get into the set up by turning off the wireless on my computer and turning off the wireless on the router (there is a switch on the router to do this), then setting the ip address on the computer to 192.168.1.102 static (I did that to stay out of the dynamic range the router was using, it had been setting the computer's address to 192.168.1.2 and still not letting me into setup), Then both the computer and the router were restarted.

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you still having problems?

Message 4 of 6
Jsnipes
Aspirant

No, I am not having any problem. Once I could get in and set my IPs login and password, everything worked fine.

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Great! Do not forget to mark the solution.

Have a great day!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7