× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1200 R6120 throttling speeds - need to upgrade?

danstar10
Aspirant

AC1200 R6120 throttling speeds - need to upgrade?

Hi all,

I just installed a Netgear AC1200 R6120 and I am finding my up and download and upload speeds seem to be throttled, which is not a problem I was having with my pretty old TP link DIR-826L. The firmware updated with the Nighthawk app when I set up the AC1200.

Speeds on both ethernet and 5GHz Wifi seem to be limited to around 60 - 80 Mbps. My connection is 100Mbps and I get that full speed plugging directly into the modem and not using the Netgear router.

I am noticing worse performance on my work connection which is a PCOIP stream to a remote computer so it is affecting me quite a bit.

Are there any settings I can change to get full speed, or is the router just limited and I need a better one? I did a bit of reading and seems like the AC1200 is limited to 100mbps (which I am not even getting), maybe I need a gigabit router?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Message 2 of 9
danstar10
Aspirant

deleted post

deleted post

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC1200 R6120 throttling speeds - not fast enough for my needs?

You would be seeing to spec speeds on wifi on this particular router due to it's 100Mpbs WAN and LAN port speeds. You'll not see anything near 100Mpbs. Wired you should see near 100Mpbs and that's about it. 

If your ISP service is 100Mpbs on the down, then his router is doing it's job. If you up your ISP speeds beyond 100Mpbs, then you'll need to review and consider a newer generation router. 

Message 3 of 9
danstar10
Aspirant

I realised I posted in the wrong forum topic so moved the thread to here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/AC1200-R6120-throttling-speeds-need-to-upgra...

So to confirm I am seeing as fast as this router will give me and I won't actually see 100Mbps with it wireless or ethernet?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Wireless no, wired should be near 100Mpbs. Nothing over. 

This router is of older generation and maybe time to find something newer. Give you some head room and future proofing some as well.

Message 5 of 9
danstar10
Aspirant

Hmm seems like wired is not doing what it should then. But as you say maybe I should go for a higher spec router anyhow for long term.

If a router is listed as a 'gigabit' router, does that mean it can support speeds up to 1Gbps if the supplied internet is that fast? And would that work both wired and wireless?

For example:

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC1900-Wireless-MU-MIMO-Router/dp/B0856PZV6F/ref=asc_df_B0856PZV6F/?ta...

Cheers

Dan

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

No. "speeds up to 1.9 Gbps (1900 Mbps - 600 on 2.4 Ghz and 1300 on 5 Ghz" These are combined speeds for marketing. Again, would not see anything near 900Mpbs on 5Ghz AC. Close. Also be aware that there are limiations on wifi devcies themselves. 2x2 antenna configurations are most common on phones and pads. These tend to max out at around 500Mpbs on 5Ghz AC at 80Mhz channel width. 4x4 antenna configurations have the ability to use and see near 900Mpbs and over. Helps if a routers supports 160Mhz channel width as well. Not all do. Also WAN and LAN port speed is important as well. Most common now days is 1000Mbps. Newer stuff is seeing 2.5Gb WAN and LAN and 10Gb on the WAN side. 

Message 7 of 9

@danstar10 wrote:

If a router is listed as a 'gigabit' router, does that mean it can support speeds up to 1Gbps if the supplied internet is that fast? And would that work both wired and wireless?

Yes and no. It depends on what the label refers to. Wifi or Ethernet.

Next to nothing will deliver gigabit wifi. You need the latest and greatest wifi technology at both ends of the connection. (Do not confuse claimed connection speeds with traffic throughput.) Few wifi clients can get anywhere near that.

Devices that claim to have 1000 Mbps (or Gigabit) Ethernet, sometimes labelled as "1000M BASE-T", should get near to that speed with wired connections. It doesn't help that device makers sometimes use the label as "Fast Ethernet" ports that are 100 Mbps.

The important bit on Internet speeds is the link between the modem and the router. If that is stuck at 100 Mbps, like the R6120, you will never get an Internet connection above 100 Mbps. In reality probably a bit less.

Message 8 of 9
danstar10
Aspirant

ok thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7