× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 (R6400) 2.4GHz wifi speeds

shura
Aspirant

AC1750 (R6400) 2.4GHz wifi speeds

After my rather sad experience described here, I settled on the R6400. Everything seems to be working, except I am not sure I get adequate wifi speeds. With the old router, my laptop (wifi adapter Atheros AR956x) got consistent 90 mbps on speedtest, which is also what I always get on a wired desktop from my ISP.

With the new router, I never get above 50 mbps on said laptop (or other wireless devices), while the speed through the wired hookup is still 90 mbps. Didn't mess with the settings, channel set to auto.

Is this normal performance? Any tweaks needed?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: AC1750 (R6400) 2.4GHz wifi speeds

Mode = 450

Disable coexistence if enabled.........this Only effects 2.4 and limits or disables channel bonding when router senses other routers

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

QOS disabled?

WMM enabled?

Mode set to?

WPA2 used?

Message 2 of 5
shura
Aspirant

QOS disabled

WMM enabled

WPA2 used 

Not sure which mode, but if you mean the transfer modes, then up to 450 and 1300 mbps for 2.4 and 5 GHz, respectively. Actually, after enabling 5 GHz band on the wireless devices (some Android phones have "2.4GHz only" by default), I get the expected 90 mbps. Not on the laptop though. Atheros advanced driver options don't have anything to switch the bands, assuming the adapter actually supports this band.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Mode = 450

Disable coexistence if enabled.........this Only effects 2.4 and limits or disables channel bonding when router senses other routers

Message 4 of 5
shura
Aspirant

Disabled coexistence, minor improvement (from 45 mbps to 57 mbps)... I guess I'll have to live with this now... 

By the way, this router also causes network card disconnect windows warnings on the wired desktop when waking it up, just like in my previous thread. I doubt it's a coincidence, could be something the router does by design.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7