× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 R6400V2 Slow with Centurylink Fiber

gkeRT2021
Guide

AC1750 R6400V2 Slow with Centurylink Fiber

I have been using this same Router for 2 years with Cox Cable Modem.  I paid for 150mbps/5mbps (Down/Up respectively).  I never got that speed, but it was fast enough so I didn't complain (30/5).

I just had CenturyLink Fiber installed a few days ago.  They guy left the CenturyLink C4000XG Modem/Router in my house so I could use it for comparison. I plan to return it, as I don't it since they said my Netgear router would work and was a better Wifi Router.

I have tested the speed using speedtest.net.  The C4000XG consistently gets over 200/200.

When I move the Cat6 from the C4000XG to my Netgear Router, the speed is about 90/9. This is less than 50% of the speed with the C4000XG for download and the upload is just pathetic.

I contacted CenturyLink and they were of no use saying I needed to contact Netgear.  I have searched google and these forums and cannot find any suggestions or solutions that work.  I did try changing out the Cat6 for 2 different cables with the same result.

Are there settings that need to change for a Fiber Specific Internet connection in order to take advantage of the higher speed?  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1750 R6400V2 Slow with Centurylink Fiber

A couple things. 

1. the C4000XG is actually a much faster router than the R6400. The R6400 is an older base model gigabit device. The C4000XG is quite a bit newer, newer wifi protocol, and is going to be faster

2. If you're going C4000XG---->R64000 you're in a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
     1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
     2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
     3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

3. Factory reset the R6400 if you're planning on using it. Make sure to leave qos, access controls, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. They can slow speeds do. Also log into the r6400 wan/lan statistics page and confirm its connecting at gigabit speeds. Your 90 mbps download speeds make me concerned its not connecting gigabit. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 2 of 7
gkeRT2021
Guide

Thank you for your response and for the information below.

I think I wasn't entirely clear with my setup.  I am not using both the C4000XG and the R6400v2 at the same time.  I took the Cat6 that was plugged into the C4000XG  (from the Network Termination Device) and MOVED it to the R6400vs.  So, right now I have only the Network Termination Device plugged into the wall for power, along with the phone line coming in from the wall with the Cat6 coming out of the Network Termination Device going into my Netgear R6400v2.

That being said, I don't believe I am dealing with Double NAT, but thank you for pointing out that possibility.

I did some research and I do see that the specifications for speed on the C4000XG (2.5Gbps/1Gbps) are faster than that of the R6400v2 (1.75 Gbps).  However, with the specifications on the R6400v2, shouldn't I still be able to get the max 200 MBPS that I am paying for with my Fiber Internet connection?  

1) That being said, do you believe a factory reset on my Netgear Router is necessary while connected to Fiber in order for the Router to "Figure Out" the max speed with this new connection? Just trying to understand the purpose of the factory reset.

2) If I do a factory reset, but first I export my settings, will I be able to import my settings AFTER factory reset and still gain the benefit of the factory reset?  I don't want to have to manually recreate all the settings.  I don't recall all the setting changes I have made, so that would be very time consuming and prone to human error.

3) Last, please find attached a screen shot of my statistics.  I am not sure what they mean tbh.  Any additional insight on this would be appreciated.

Thank you again for your help!

Message 3 of 7

@gkeRT2021 wrote:

I did some research and I do see that the specifications for speed on the C4000XG (2.5Gbps/1Gbps) are faster than that of the R6400v2 (1.75 Gbps).  However, with the specifications on the R6400v2, shouldn't I still be able to get the max 200 MBPS that I am paying for with my Fiber Internet connection?  

You might like to do some research into "speeds". It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Next to nothing will deliver WiFi at 200 Mbps on 2.4 GHz Wifi. It depends on having clients that can handle the traffic and a WiFi source that can deliver. Marketing talk of Gb WiFi speeds are all about technical specifications and wireless theory.

1) That being said, do you believe a factory reset on my Netgear Router is necessary while connected to Fiber in order for the Router to "Figure Out" the max speed with this new connection? Just trying to understand the purpose of the factory reset.

The factory reset clears out any configuration that your router acquired when it was set up to connect to an Internet service with different settings. You should reset and set up the router from scratch so that the router can recognise the new service and configure itself accordingly.

As @plemans suggests, the R6400v2 is an ageing router first produced in 2015. A mid range device, it was never built for speed. There have been several generations of WiFi technology since AC1750.

For most purposes, the R6400v2 is a perfectly adequate router. The C4000XG is faster on that front. But once again, the speeds you see will be determined by the clients you throw at it. Push bikes can't go faster on a Formula 1 race track than they will on a country lane.

Message 4 of 7
gkeRT2021
Guide

Hello,

Thank you for the information.  I am surprised to hear that my Netgear router AC1750/R6400v2 is that old!  I purchased it brand new in 2021 and it looks like you can still buy it new even now.   I also appreciate the knowledge sharing re: understanding Wifi speeds.

Since the only thing I changed in my setup was the Router itself, it doesn't seem my laptop is limiting the speed when comparing the performance of the C4000XG with the R6400vs using speedtest.net.  That being said, since my Netgear router hasn't been factory reset (I just unplugged it from the cable modem and connected it to the Fiber Network Termination Device), it seems it isn't a fair test compared with the C4000XG which was initially configured while connected to fiber.

I may do a factory reset on the R6400v2 to see if that changes the speed.  At this point, it's more curiosity and understanding than anything else.  Since both download and upload speeds are still faster using the R6400v2 on Fiber than when connected to Cable it's not a real issue, just a challenge to solve.  Admittedly, though, I do want to get the full speed I am paying for since I know it's possible as seen with the C4000XG CenturyLink router.

One last question, please read in full:  If I export my settings on the R6400v2, perform a factory reset, and then import my settings back, will that overwrite ALL settings that would be reconfigured by the factory reset?  I am well aware during factory reset that my network name, password, guest network name, password and other variables I have personally set will be overwritten by the factory reset.  And then, when I import that back in...those items will be reinstated.  I wonder, however, are there settings during factory reset that get set which would NOT be overwritten by an import of my exported settings. For example, are there Non-User configurable settings that will remain after factory reset EVEN AFTER I import a file of my settings I had exported prior to reset?   I want to know if I need to do an inventory of all settings before factory reset, as I honestly don't remember everything I have changed.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 7

@gkeRT2021 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for the information.  I am surprised to hear that my Netgear router AC1750/R6400v2 is that old!  I purchased it brand new in 2021 and it looks like you can still buy it new even now.  

More a case of old technology. The original R6400 is from 2015, and "V" hardware updates arfenlt usually a great leap forward.

My main router is even older. I am not one pf those people who rushes out to buy a new model whenever it arrives. I just remind myself that being on the "cutting edge" can be painful.

I may do a factory reset on the R6400v2 to see if that changes the speed.  At this point, it's more curiosity and understanding than anything else.  Since both download and upload speeds are still faster using the R6400v2 on Fiber than when connected to Cable it's not a real issue, just a challenge to solve.  Admittedly, though, I do want to get the full speed I am paying for since I know it's possible as seen with the C4000XG CenturyLink router.

Your call, but without a reset you are not making meaningful measurements. It isn't even a fair test of WiFi speeds. Faster Ethernet could deliver faster WiFi.

For example, are there Non-User configurable settings that will remain after factory reset EVEN AFTER I import a file of my settings I had exported prior to reset?   I want to know if I need to do an inventory of all settings before factory reset, as I honestly don't remember everything I have changed.

Test it and see.

Another way to erase your previous Internet settings without clearing out all of the configuration might be to run the setup wizard for the router. 

Check the bit in the manual Use the Internet Setup Wizard.

Message 6 of 7
gkeRT2021
Guide

Yes...I decided to test and see. It took me some time, as I also wanted to screen shot all my OLD settings before making any changes. 

Results: 

I did the Setup Wizard first (even before you suggested it)...sadly, that didn't make much of a difference, but it was worth a shot.

I finally did a factory reset and then ran the Setup Wizard again and sure enough, I am now getting over 200Mbps both Download and Upload speeds! It's pretty amazing!

I have gone through all my screenshots, and the only real difference I can see are the changes on the Wireless Channel settings for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.  It's important to note that these differences are between the settings after I ran the setup wizard without the factory reset, and then with the factory reset.  I don't have a screen shot of the Wireless channels before the Setup wizard, and I don't feel like reimporting those settings just to check.

So..there it is! Factory Reset with Setup Wizard was the solution.

I hope this all helps someone else with the same issue.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7