× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Abysmal performance - wired or wireless. New behavior

johngriswold
Tutor

Abysmal performance - wired or wireless. New behavior

I have Comcast and pay for 150Mbps downstream. I checked at the modem and I'm getting ~100Mbps down and ~12Mbps upstream. I'll not quibble with the downstream performance at this point. 

Through the router, I consistently speed test at < 10Mbps, both down and up. I know I had better performance in the past, and wonder what might have changed or gone awry. I even stripped it down to one device connected on ethernet, wireless turned off, so that there was no device competition. 

I've used both the Comcast Speet Test and others, the Comcast test is to a nearby server so it's slanted toward making Comcast look good, of course.

Recent changes - the PCs were pushed to Windows 10, but even my iPhone and Android devices have suck performance.

I also swapped in a brand new WNR2000 router of the newer V5 version, to no avail.

I have to think that this modem is capable of better performance, though I did not log results in prior tests. Some kind of engineer, I know...

Any thoughts? Should I really just get a beefier router?

Thanks in advance,

John

Model: WNR2000|Wireless-N Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
johngriswold
Tutor

Re: Abysmal performance - wired or wireless. New behavior

I got an email from NETGEAR Community asking if these answers provided a solution. Well, not really. I did get that my router would not provide 150Mbps, although I do recall speeds of nearly 100Mbps in the past. The solution to my problem was to purchase a new router - a N600-level product from D-Link. The comparable NETGEAR routers were much, much more expensive. Compare routers at SmallNetBuilder.com

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@johngriswold wrote:

I have Comcast and pay for 150Mbps downstream. I checked at the modem and I'm getting ~100Mbps down and ~12Mbps upstream. I'll not quibble with the downstream performance at this point. 

reboot the modem and contact comcast, If you own the modem it needs to be a Dociss 3 modem, then buy a router capable of that 150MBps yours is not. Also you need to use WPA2 for security

I've used both the Comcast Speet Test and others, the Comcast test is to a nearby server so it's slanted toward making Comcast look good, of course. 

No it's how you test the comcast network. A test site located further away would not give you the actual comcast speed rather a combined lower speed. 

Message 2 of 6
Yo4bubba
Guide

I can connect to my Comcast modem and exceed my 50/10 service, but the router slows it down to less than 1/2 mbps upload speeds and my download speed is closer to 7 - 30 mbps. That is a laptop connected wired directly attached to one of the 4 ports. Anyone have similar issues? Should I simply get an RMA? (RMAs are free, support costs money!)

Message 3 of 6
johngriswold
Tutor

The TM822g is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem capable of 300Mbps, according to Arris, so I know the problem is in the router. Comcast is out of the equation other than them supplying only 100Mbps v. the 150 I pay for. I realize the router is not capable of 150Mbps throughput, as the ethernet connections are only 100Mbps, but I DO anticipate that the rates would be better than 10Mb if there is only one device connected to the router, via Cat-5 cable, and a short one, at that.

Are you suggesting the WPA2 security is faster than others? Are you suggesting that WPA2 security has something to do with a wired router-to-PC connection? Or are you only suggesting that WPA2 would be a good wireless security protocol to use? I am unclear on your answer.

And yes, using Comcast Speed Test really only tests the Comcast network, not the speed of the internet in general.

Thank you for your comments, but I'm not sure they target the problem I'm having.

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You're Welcome!

Message 5 of 6
johngriswold
Tutor

I got an email from NETGEAR Community asking if these answers provided a solution. Well, not really. I did get that my router would not provide 150Mbps, although I do recall speeds of nearly 100Mbps in the past. The solution to my problem was to purchase a new router - a N600-level product from D-Link. The comparable NETGEAR routers were much, much more expensive. Compare routers at SmallNetBuilder.com

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7