× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Air Print problem following wifi router reset

Brad949
Aspirant

Air Print problem following wifi router reset

I have 2 HP printers on a home network via ethernet cables. I have 2 R6400 wifi routers for wireless connections.  Our apple mobile devices have been able to print to these network printers using air print ever since I installed the routers (3+ years), but when I recently reset the wifi routers, due to some internet connectivity issues, they no longer see the 2 network printers and "no air printers found" is the result. I've tried resetting the network and deleting and reinstalling the printers.  I've looked for settings on both the printer and router apps involving air print, but can't find any. AllI I can assume is that something got triggered by the router reset, but I can't find out how to resolve it.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Air Print problem following wifi router reset

If you're running 2 routers, you put the 2nd one in access point mode to prevent a double nat, didn't you? 

Otherwise you have 2 networks running. Maybe the printers are on one and the devices on a different one. 

Message 2 of 6
Brad949
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

The setup instructions did not advise on how to handle a second router,so I just set them both up with the same ID and everything worked fine for 3 years, until I had to reset them recently.  When I look at the devices recognized by each router, via the nighthawk app, the printers don't register on either.  This is because, with an Ethernet cable attached, they don't transmit a wireless signal.  But, somehow, AirPrint was able to use the wifi to communicate with those printers on the network, but not after the router reset.  I've tried to update the router firmware, which I suspect is the problem, but it fails through the nighthawk app and the netgear site says that free support for for these routers expired.  So, do I spend $$$ with netgear to try to resolve the problem on routers that are nearly 5 years old, or spend $200 for comparable new ones?  Unless I find an easy fix that's free, i

l probably just go new.  Thanks again for trying to help.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If your printing over airprint with a direct connection device----printer, then the router has nothing to do with it. 

If you're print airprint with the printer hardwired into the router, then you do need to have your network setup right. 

Did you put the 2nd router in access point mode? You didn't address this

Message 4 of 6
Brad949
Aspirant

Sorry, if my original answer wasn't clear. No, I don't believe the second router is set up as an access point.  I simply plugged each router in and gave them each my network password.  But, like I said, that's how they were initially set up 3 years ago and AirPrint always worked.  I'm willing to try what you're suggesting, but don't know how to accomplish it. There's one aspect of your last response that  I'm confused about.  You said that AirPrint to wired printers has nothing to do with my wifi router. If so, how could AirPrint possibly print to a wired printer emitting no wireless signal?  And why would setting up my routers correctly fix AirPrint, if the router has nothing to do with it?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

What I mean is many printers have a direct--wifi print option. 

Where the printer doesn't actually connect to the network but that you connect a pc/phone/tablet directly to the printers wifi to print off. It can be done without a router. So I was curious if that was the route you'd used or not. 

If you setup the printer on your network, you need to ensure the devices you're print off is on the same subnet as the printer. Maybe when you set it up the first time, all the devices that print, were on the proper subnet. When you reset, it might be on a different one. \

If you setup the network properly, they should all be on one subnet. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series