× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Upgrade Options From Old ReadyNAS 204

Aelyth
Aspirant

Best Upgrade Options From Old ReadyNAS 204

Hello All,

I've been using my ReadyNAS 204 for about a decade. The 204 has been a trusty media/file server for all these years. But, it's time to look at upgrading. I currently have about 3.5tb of the 5.5ish tb worth of space filled with data I would like to keep. However, I'm not sure if anyone here has gone down a similar path of upgrading their chassy while keeping their data/raid intact.

Also, does anyone have their favorite models that they would recommend for transcoding/streaming HD content?

Any suggestions, help, or lessons learned from the community would be greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Best Upgrade Options From Old ReadyNAS 204

I went from the same RN204 to a home server. It was a nice upgrade as I had enough parts/cpu's sitting around I was able to make a solid 4 core 16gig server that handles transcoding great. I tried FreeNas (loved it) but ended up using windows server just for convienence with the wife. 

So not sure what route to tell you to take. I loved the upgrade in performance/ability to customize but its not a "drop in solution" like a NAS is. 

Message 2 of 6
Aelyth
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. Yeah, I would do that back in the day when I had a half-rack in my garage. But now, I'd prefer to just keep my I.T. stuffs out of site and out of mind for the most part. I try (and usuallly fail) to keep my tech clean and if possible out of site/out of mind. If I can't, like my current situation, the best option would be to find something that I can keep out in public view. But still give me enough capability to keep from getting "This server is not powerful enough to convert video" error.

Aside from building my own server, do you have any thoughts on power/speed for transcoding?

Cheers,

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You'd do better to ask in the readynas forum. I'll see if a mod can move this discussion. 

But in the meantime, I think @StephenB or @schumaku are better at the readynas discussions. 

My only Netgear NAS was the RN204. 

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Aelyth wrote:

I've been using my ReadyNAS 204 for about a decade. The 204 has been a trusty media/file server for all these years. But, it's time to look at upgrading. I currently have about 3.5tb of the 5.5ish tb worth of space filled with data I would like to keep. However, I'm not sure if anyone here has gone down a similar path of upgrading their chassy while keeping their data/raid intact.

You can migrate the disks to any other OS-6 ReadyNAS (RN214, RN31x, RN42x, RN52x, RN62x are the desktop lines)  It's an easy process, though it is always best to have an up-to-date backup for your date (RAID isn't enough to keep it safe).

The "elephant in the room" here is that there is some evidence that Netgear is abandoning their NAS business (though they haven't explicitly said that).  It's not clear if that is just their desktop ReadyNAS, or both desktop and rack-mount.   Inventory has been hard to find for quite a while, and the new units that are out there are generally over-priced.  The pace and scope of ReadyNAS firmware releases has also dropped off.

I suggest looking at competing NAS from other vendors as part of your decision.  You could purchase new disks for the new NAS, and then re-purpose your RN204 as a backup NAS (scheduling backup jobs that has the new primary NAS as the backup source).  That will work even if the new NAS is not a ReadyNAS.

Your volume is actually pretty small - so another option is just to use a Windows PC or a Mac with a reasonably large disk. 

@Aelyth wrote:

Also, does anyone have their favorite models that they would recommend for transcoding/streaming HD content?

Straight streaming is a pretty easy job for almost all NAS (including your RN204).  Real-time transcoding is a bigger deal, especially if you are transcoding 4K.  It's best to have a system with graphics acceleration for that (which no ReadyNAS has). 

Personally I use a Windows PC as an application server for my NAS (mapping the NAS data volume to a drive letter).  Though that requires another device, it allows me to upgrade the application server and the NAS independently - which I think is worth the extra cost. My primary NAS is an RN526x.

Message 5 of 6
Aelyth
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your reply. Two follow up questions...

So I've upgraded my 204 with 6tb drives (4). I'm curious if I purchase the 526, can I fill it with the 4 drives I have and add 2 more 6tb drives to the X-Raid? Will this be an issue or will it work as I'm hoping. Just plug them in, let sync, reboot and have the extra room with the extra power of the 526?

Do you have another NAS that you would recommend that might have a longer shelf life? (Synology DS920+, QNAP TS-451D2)

Okay, that was more like 3

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7