× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CG4500BD does not authenticate wifi clients despite correct password

therrera1550
Aspirant

CG4500BD does not authenticate wifi clients despite correct password

Netgear CG4500BD, N900 modem/router.  Firmware version V2.05.18

Hello all,

I have had this router as a backup router.  My other router went out and I put this one in its place.  After getting activated by cox internet, I found that the wired devices (printer and one workstation) are able to access the router but the wireless devices (TV, Amazon Firestick, and laptop) are not able to authenticate.  The password is correct.  I don't know what to do or check to see where the problem is coming from.  I remember having a problem like this with the old router but it turned out that the password was case sensitive and when I corrected that all wireless devices got on without a hitch.

Is there some type of known issue with the router that can explain this?  Anyone have an idea of what I can do or check on?

Thanks for any help and input

Model: CG4500BD-1CXNAS|Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
therrera1550
Aspirant

Re: CG4500BD does not authenticate wifi clients despite correct password

Hello Michael and thanks for your reply.  Last night I stayed up late and went over the setup with a fine tooth comb.  I have never had to work with a dual band wifi router and found that I inadvertedly failed to change the default passwords for the ssid of the 2.4ghz band so when the workstations tried to log in to the correct ssid, the password was wrong.

Then I realized also that the 5ghz band is like a separate network and has its own ssid and parraphrase.  So I configured its ssid and password as well.  Now both bands work and the workstations can get on.  It was my error.

I was afraid I was in for a nightmare trying to get it to work.  It had a happy ending.

Thanks, problem solved.

Tony

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@therrera1550 wrote:

The password is correct. 

Is this the default "out of the box" password, or did you set it up yourself?

You have to be careful with special characters.

@therrera1550 wrote:

are not able to authenticate. 

Thanks for any help and input

What messages do you see?

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to
Nighthawk WiFi Routers.
(This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 4
therrera1550
Aspirant

Hello Michael and thanks for your reply.  Last night I stayed up late and went over the setup with a fine tooth comb.  I have never had to work with a dual band wifi router and found that I inadvertedly failed to change the default passwords for the ssid of the 2.4ghz band so when the workstations tried to log in to the correct ssid, the password was wrong.

Then I realized also that the 5ghz band is like a separate network and has its own ssid and parraphrase.  So I configured its ssid and password as well.  Now both bands work and the workstations can get on.  It was my error.

I was afraid I was in for a nightmare trying to get it to work.  It had a happy ending.

Thanks, problem solved.

Tony

Message 3 of 4

@therrera1550 wrote:

That's good news. I'm not familiar with cable stuff, but usually the labels spell out the different 2.4 and  5GHz details.

Some people break the rules and set their wifi up to have the same SSIDs and passwords.

Newer stuff even does it for them.

Thanks for reporting back.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7