× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can not find Individual time restriction option for each wifi device on wifi network

phillie
Aspirant

Can not find Individual time restriction option for each wifi device on wifi network

I just installed my NETGEAR AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router, 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit (R6400-100NAS).  My main purpose of buying a wifi router was to set up time restrictions for my kids devices.  I've looked and all i can find is the option to schedule a block for the router itself and not for each device on the wifi network.  I've had various cheap routers that I could set up on time restrictions on.  If I can't on this router I will be highly dissapointed. 

I also found that you can block devices.  If I was usually up at the time I would turn off my kids devices off I'd be fine with that but i'm not.  I would really appreciate some help.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can not find Individual time restriction option for each wifi device on wifi network

Hi @phillie,

As suggested by @Retired_Member, you may perform address reservation for the devices that connect to your network then you can setup a schedule for blocking all service.

How to setup address reservation:

1. Make sure the devices that you want to manage are already connected to the network (wired or wireless).

2. Access the router UI. You can do this by typing www.routerlogin.net or the IP address of the router and login.

3. Select Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup

4. Under Address Reservation click on Add

5. Select the device that you want to assign a specific IP address to and remember that IP address.

6. Click on Add. The device should appear on the table with the specific IP that will be assigned to it every time it connects to the network.

7. You can perform the same steps (4 to 6) to add more devices.

Once you have completed the address reservation, you can then setup a schedule then block services.

1. Still under the Advanced tab, select Security > Schedule. As it stands, you can only create a single schedule.

2. Setup your preferred schedule for the day/days and time frame then click on Apply.

Once the schedule is setup, you can block the services.

1. Still under the Advanced tab and Security, select Block services.

2. Select Per Schedule then click on the Add button.

3. Select All for the Service Type.

4. Select Only this IP Address then specify the IP address of the device that you want to block on that schedule.

5. Click on Add. The IP should appear on the Service Table.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Check the parental control option. Sorry not familar with it.

Setup rule to block via IP address or a block of addresses.....need to use address reservations to assign same IP or IP's to more than one device.

Then you can make a rule blocking all ports on those devices by time. Problem is nitgear is so behind in their FW you'll only be able to use one schedule not multiple.

You could set the netgear up in AP Mode and use the other router to do your parenting.LOL

Message 2 of 5
phillie
Aspirant

The parental control option is mostly for prohiting certain websites.  That has been giving me a problem also but it doesn't have anything to do with time restrictions so its not a priority.

Im not a network guru so I'm not familar with how to block ip addresses and like you said i need multiple schedules.

I do have an old router from when i was with quest that i had set up for time restrictions.  How would that work? I'd want to get the full potential from the netgear router but then when time comes to restrict the kids devices the other router kicks in.

Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @phillie,

As suggested by @Retired_Member, you may perform address reservation for the devices that connect to your network then you can setup a schedule for blocking all service.

How to setup address reservation:

1. Make sure the devices that you want to manage are already connected to the network (wired or wireless).

2. Access the router UI. You can do this by typing www.routerlogin.net or the IP address of the router and login.

3. Select Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup

4. Under Address Reservation click on Add

5. Select the device that you want to assign a specific IP address to and remember that IP address.

6. Click on Add. The device should appear on the table with the specific IP that will be assigned to it every time it connects to the network.

7. You can perform the same steps (4 to 6) to add more devices.

Once you have completed the address reservation, you can then setup a schedule then block services.

1. Still under the Advanced tab, select Security > Schedule. As it stands, you can only create a single schedule.

2. Setup your preferred schedule for the day/days and time frame then click on Apply.

Once the schedule is setup, you can block the services.

1. Still under the Advanced tab and Security, select Block services.

2. Select Per Schedule then click on the Add button.

3. Select All for the Service Type.

4. Select Only this IP Address then specify the IP address of the device that you want to block on that schedule.

5. Click on Add. The IP should appear on the Service Table.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
phillie
Aspirant

Thank you Dexter!  I will try this today and reply back with the results. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7