× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect my Sony VAIO laptop to my home network. It will only connect to the -5G network.

chuckb
Aspirant

Can't connect my Sony VAIO laptop to my home network. It will only connect to the -5G network.

My home network consists of five PC’s and an HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer.  I’m using a Motorola modem and a NETGEAR R6300 wireless router.  The four PC’s and the HP printer are connected to my home network which is:  XXNETWORK.  The fifth computer is a Sony Vaio laptop (SVP13213CXB).  All but one of the PC’s are WIN 10.  (The Sony is WIN 10.)  When I try to connect to the XXNETWORK on the Sony I get an error message that says, “can’t connect to this network”.  The only network, on the list, that I can connect to is the NETGEAR83-5G network.  Once connected I can do everything that the other PC’s do, however sometimes I’ll get a “network error EX” message that makes surfing on EBay very difficult. QUESTION:  Why can’t I connect the Sony to the XXNETWORK?  I tried going into the NETGEAR R6300 router menu and changed a few things – without success. PLEASE HELP.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
chuckb
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect my Sony VAIO laptop to my home network. It will only connect to the -5G network.

Problem solved:

1. Click on the “network icon” in the task bar at the lower right.
  2. XXNETWORK is there and NETGEAR83-5G is there. At this point I am only connected to the NETGEAR83-5G network and when I try to connect to XXNETWORK I get a message that says
  3. “can’t connect to this network”.
  4. Go to Settings → Network and Internet → Manage WiFi settings → Manage known networks. FORGET both networks.
  5. Go back to the “network broadcast icon” in the task bar. You will see the two networks there again. Click on the XXNETWORK”. This time it will give you an option to enter your network key.
  6. Enter the network key and you are now connected to XXNETWORK.
  7. Go to Control Panel → network and sharing center → change adapter settings.
  8. Now the only adapter there is the XXNETWORK. The NETGEAR83-5G is gone.
  9. Finally, update the driver for the XXNETWORK network. DONE.

I am still getting rid of the Netgear R6300v2 router.  I only had it for a year and experienced a great deal of problems with it.  I'm heading out this weekend to buy an ASUS RT-N66U wireless router at Tiger Direct.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Can't connect my Sony VAIO laptop to my home network. It will only connect to the -5G network.

We have a Sony Vaio Fit series laptop with Broadcom WiFi card with bluethtooth. Can your laptop see the 2.4GHz  SSID?

You can go to network and sharing center and set up the WiFi card there.

Message 2 of 5
chuckb
Aspirant

How can I check if the laptop can "see the 2.4GHz SSID"?

I tried what you said about setting up the WiFi card, however I can't figure it out! 

Can you please provide furthur instructions?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @chuckb,

You can check it by scanning for available wireless networks. Does the laptop detect the name of the 2.4GHz network? If yes, are you able to connect to it?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
chuckb
Aspirant

Problem solved:

1. Click on the “network icon” in the task bar at the lower right.
  2. XXNETWORK is there and NETGEAR83-5G is there. At this point I am only connected to the NETGEAR83-5G network and when I try to connect to XXNETWORK I get a message that says
  3. “can’t connect to this network”.
  4. Go to Settings → Network and Internet → Manage WiFi settings → Manage known networks. FORGET both networks.
  5. Go back to the “network broadcast icon” in the task bar. You will see the two networks there again. Click on the XXNETWORK”. This time it will give you an option to enter your network key.
  6. Enter the network key and you are now connected to XXNETWORK.
  7. Go to Control Panel → network and sharing center → change adapter settings.
  8. Now the only adapter there is the XXNETWORK. The NETGEAR83-5G is gone.
  9. Finally, update the driver for the XXNETWORK network. DONE.

I am still getting rid of the Netgear R6300v2 router.  I only had it for a year and experienced a great deal of problems with it.  I'm heading out this weekend to buy an ASUS RT-N66U wireless router at Tiger Direct.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7