× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect my WNR2000V5 to my ISP

Ardose
Aspirant

Can't connect my WNR2000V5 to my ISP

My ISP is COMWAVZ from Watch Communications. The service is provided from an RF antenna/modem outside. It works fine on my PC. But, when I connect the router, it won't work. The router says the signal is there. I have tried to use Auto Setup and I have put in my name and password and it router still won't connect to my ISP. What am I doing wrong?

Model: JWNR2000v5|N300 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Ardose
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect my WNR2000V5 to my ISP

Yes. It was defective and those jerks at Walmart put it back on the shelf. I made a special trip this afternoon to take it back. This time, I made them open the package and I made sure it was new. I brought it home, hooked it up and what do you know, IT WORKS.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Ardose

Welcome to the community!

According to the FAQ of your ISP, the router MAC Address should be registered in their system.

Have you called your ISP to register the MAC Address of the router?

The MAC Address can be located on the sticker of the router.

Verify as well with your ISP if you need to input your username and password in the router settings to get online or ask for the best router configuration.

Message 2 of 8
Ardose
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I contacted my ISP for help to get my modem to work. First they said I had an intermitant connection. So, I cleared any possible obstruction away from the antenna and also put a new RJ45 connector on the cable because the old one seemed loose. This morning, a technician at my ISP said the intermitant problem was fixed. BUT, she says that my modem won't handshake with their system and I need to get a new modem.

Does that seem reasonable to you? Is there a model of Netgear modem that is easier to set up?

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Ardose You can verify if the intermittent connection problem is fixed by connecting your PC directly to the modem.
Do not be confused with the router and the modem. The router is the NETGEAR device while the modem is the ISP provided unit.

I'm not pretty sure why the router won't handshake with their connection. I suggest that you ask for a higher tier of support to get more details and verify if there are other settings you need to get it working with the NETGEAR router. As far the router is concerned, there shouldn't be any problem working with the ISP that you have. All NETGEAR routers have the same steps in setting it up.

Below are the most common articles on how to set it up.

Cable Connection

DSL Connection

Message 4 of 8
Ardose
Aspirant

HEre's a good one. After my ISP told me I need a new router, I went to Walmart and bought an N600 router. I hooked it up and it would work. So, I registered it and called the Netgear support number for help. I got some lady who had a very strong accent and was hard to understand. We spent half an hour resetting the unit and plugging the cables in and unplugging them and turning the power on and off and so on only to conclude that the "new" unit was defective. I noticed it had no paperwork in the box which I understand it was supposed to. This tells me that someone returned before because it was defective and Walmart put a security device on it and put it back on the shelf without even making sure it had the paperwork in it. YEAH WALMART!

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Ardose Sounds like you got a defective unit.
Again, any model from our router product line will work with the connection that you have.
See this link to choose from our wide selection of wireless routers.

Message 6 of 8
Ardose
Aspirant

Yes. It was defective and those jerks at Walmart put it back on the shelf. I made a special trip this afternoon to take it back. This time, I made them open the package and I made sure it was new. I brought it home, hooked it up and what do you know, IT WORKS.

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad that it's now up and running!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements