× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Commercial Electric plug won't connect

slsnyder348
Aspirant

Commercial Electric plug won't connect

N300 wireless router WNR2000v3
Model: WNR2000|Wireless-N Router
Message 1 of 21
plemans
Guru

Re: Commercial Electric plug won't connect

More info would be beneficial. 

WNR2000 is your router? 

What modem/gateway are you using? 

What actual issue are you having? Whats it doing? 

Message 2 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

Modem is Netgear ADSL2 + modem DM111PSPv2

When the app SP1 tries to connect to my Netgear it says connection failed, try again. I have reinstalled app, reset internet and smart plug, turned phone off, etc. I know the app and plug work because it connected right up at my daughter's house. Also have a Google mini which works just fine.
Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

This wasn't much clearer than the rest. 

Your trying to connect a smart/plug switch and it doesn't connect?

you have a DM111PSPv2 connected to the wn2000? is that correct? 

but having issues with a smart plug 

Message 4 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

I am trying to connect a smart plug to my wifi and it won't connect. There is no problem with my wifi because I checked with my provider. I gave you the model numbers of my modem and router and have included the error that I receive each time.
Message 5 of 21
plemans
Guru

you have the DM111PSPv2 connected to the wn2000? 

the dm111pspv2 has its own integrated router as well. It can cause a double nat situation. That can sometimes cause issues setting up new devices. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 6 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

So the modem has it's own router?
Message 7 of 21
plemans
Guru

yes, you can read about it in the manual 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DM111PSPv2.aspx

Message 8 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

Thank you for all your help but I am not sure how to reconfigure the modem/router, I am not computer savvy. My son bought the Netgear equipment years ago and set it up for me. He no longer lives in the area.
Message 9 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

I read the info on the double NAT and the user manual for the modem. It says to disconnect the non-netgear router. My router and modem(with internal router) are all Netgear. Where in the manual does it help me correct the problem so I can add the smart plug to my network?

Message 10 of 21
plemans
Guru

You're caught in a catch22. 

someone else set up the system and you're not sure exactly how to set it up yourself. 

Which makes it a challenge. yes I can go over where in the manual it shows disabling the router functions of your dsl modem/router but will you be able to reconfigure your router to function properly? unknown. And each dsl isp has their own specific settings. 

have you tried simply putting the primary router in access point mode and letting the dsl modem/router handling the routing capability?

Message 11 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

My son lives in Vegas so it is not an option for help. A friend is gonna attempt to help so if you can point us to a starting point that would be helpful.
Message 12 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

Or should I just update my router/modem and get new ones and have someone help set it up?
Message 13 of 21
plemans
Guru

point 1 would be to read the manual for disabling router mode on the dsl modem/router

step 2 would be setting it up

step 3 would then be setting up the router

Message 14 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

All in manual?
Message 15 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

This will take care of my issue or is this just a trial and error situation?
Message 16 of 21
plemans
Guru

When you're troubleshooting 2nd hand with someone who's also relying on someone else for their primary setup, its all trial and error. 

Message 17 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

Thought so.
Message 18 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

Looks like I need the disc to make any changes is that correct?
Message 19 of 21
plemans
Guru

You shouldn't. 

go to netgear.com/support/  type in the model number. It'll take you to the files (if needed) manuals, instructions. 

Message 20 of 21
slsnyder348
Aspirant

I had my friend come to my house and he worked for 5 hours trying to get the smart plug to work. You had suggested to turn the router part off in the modem. When he did that we could nt get back on the wireless and he had to set up his phone as a Hotspot to finally get me back on wireless. He went home and researched and he said that there is no other router in my modem. Is there a Netgear guru that comes to your house, for a fee I know, to help me? You both have been so helpful. What do you suggest to try next?
Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7