× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

SGValley
Aspirant

Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

I just signed up with Charter Cable after returning from vacation and finding my AT&T DSL not working.  I now have the potential of Internet that's 70X faster than what I had if I can only get it to work.  I was about to put up my hands in surrender and then I found this forum.  Hopefully someone can help me.

Equipment:

Charter Cable modem - Cisco DPC3216

NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC1750 R6400

Toshiba NB505 Netbook

Dell Inspiron PC

The Charter guy installed the cable and there was a signal to the modem.  He connected the NETGEAR wireless router and turned on the Toshiba Netbook.  The computer found the network and we logged in.  The computer showed that we were connected to the network and the NETGEAR Genie came up.  But there was no Internet connection.  It produced the same result whether the computer was connected via Ethernet cable or wirelessly. The Internet works fine when connected directly to the Cisco modem.  After repeated tries to get it going, the cable guy concluded that the new NETGEAR router must be defective.

After the cable guy left, I tried numerous times, each time following the installation manual that came with the router.  Each time produced the same result.  I called a friend who is much more knowledgable about computers than I am and he reached the same conclusion - bad router.

I went out and bought a new router (same NETGEAR model) and went through all of the installation steps as specified in the installation guide.  I got the same result.  I attached a NETGEAR dongle to my Dell PC.  The dongle works perfectly, but I get the same result there.  I could connect to the network, the NETGEAR Genie comes up on the screen, but there's no Internet access.

All of the lights on the NETGEAR wireless router that should be lit are lit and are white.  My little Toshiba netbook has traveled the world and had no trouble connecting to dozens of wireless networks in hotels and apartments, so I'm sure that it can't be a compatibility issue with the computer.

I'm not particularly proficient with the nuts and bolts of computers, so I'm hoping there's an easy solution for my problem that I've overlooked.  I'm very frustrated.

Thanks in advance for your reponse!  HELP!!!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

Disconnect and reconnect your computer from the network. It should pick up a new IP address.

Then, log into the router. Skip the quick start guide. Hopefully, you will be taken to the main home page. From there, you should be able to see the Internet icon. Click on it to see if the modem assigned an IP address to the router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Can you log into the R6400 and see if it's getting an IP address and DNS server addresses from the modem? You will find them by clicking on the big Internet icon.

Some times, an ISP's modem will lock onto the first device that connects to its Ethernet port after power up. If that happens to be a computer, then the modem may ignore the router when it is subsequently connected. There are two ways to deal with this.

1. Connect the router to the modem and power cycle the modem. This should force the modem to accept the router.
  2. Clone the computer's MAC address to the router's Internet interface. This will fake out the modem into thinking your router is the computer. MAC address cloning is available on the Internet page of the R6400 at the bottom.
Message 2 of 5
SGValley
Aspirant

Thanks, TheEther, for your quick response.

The only way that I know to log into the router is by using the routerlogin web address in the quick start guide.  This brings up the Netgear genie which gives no options for anything other than answering a few questions that end up telling me that there’s no Internet connection.  There’s nothing on the screen to navigate anywhere else.

I did do your step #1 after which my computer gave me a “WINDOWS HAS DETECTED AN IP CONFLICT” error message saying that another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer.  This seems to verify your analysis that the problem is with IP addresses.

I’m frustrated and it seems that a solution to my problem lies somewhere above my pay grade.  I’m thinking that I’ll just run over to my local corner computer shop and see if they make house calls.

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Disconnect and reconnect your computer from the network. It should pick up a new IP address.

Then, log into the router. Skip the quick start guide. Hopefully, you will be taken to the main home page. From there, you should be able to see the Internet icon. Click on it to see if the modem assigned an IP address to the router.

Message 4 of 5
Timms23
Aspirant

Guys this didn't work for me - I went into the set up wizard again - then clicked I want to set up myself - under internet connection (left) there was my username and password - I re typed my isp password and I'm back up and running .... hopes this helped guys
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7